Chapter 3

“Hey Stevie”

She turned around to face me and I smiled nervously at her, hoping to lighten the fact I had got a bodyguard to literally carry her here.

It didn’t work. She glowered at me, fuming.

“Hey Stevie!?” she mimicked angrily.

“Really? That’s what you are going to start with? Why are you not already on your knees, grovelling for my forgiveness?”

Massive Mike grinned at me amused; before turning and leaving the room.

I sighed knowingly.

I had been expecting exactly this. I knew what Stevie was like; and that she’d take this personally. I also knew her temper, it’s what had saved me from trouble and gotten me into it.

I opened my mouth to speak- but Stevie cut me off.

“Why didn’t you tell me!? I was the last person to know Andy- literally! Your best friend! I didn’t know!” She paced angrily up and down in front of me, throwing a furious stare at me now and then.

“And!” she continued as I tried to interrupt again.

“I had to hear it from frikkin’ Cayley! Bimbo, frikkin, Cayley!!”

Frustrated hand gestures followed, and I took my opportunity to try speaking-

“Stevie if you’ll just calm down and let me explain.”

She stopped pacing abruptly and turned her gaze to me, emotionless.

Then said in a low deadly voice, “what did you say?”

“I said calm down and let me explain.” I said uncertainly- I thought I may have annoyed her with the ‘calm down’ comment.

Her face turned thunderous,

“YOU HAVE AN ACCENT!?!”

Oh no.

“WHAT THE HELL! WHAT HAVE YOU TOLD ME THAT ACTUALLY TRUE? DID YOU JUST LIE TO ME THIS WHOLE TIME!!”

A brief pause followed the yelling as she took a small breath, to try and compose herself.

I almost grinned- because I knew that right now in Stevie’s head she was hearing her mother’s voice, informing her it was not ladylike to yell- but something on Stevie’s face stopped my almost smile.

“Do I mean that little to you?” I could hear it was meant to be angry like the words before, but the hurt crept into her voice.

“Stevie” I said, moving impulsively to comfort her.

“Don't you ‘Stevie’ me.” She snapped, dodging me and sitting on a spare table.

Silence followed.

I feared speaking in case it upset her more. So I waited patiently.

“I feel like I don't know you at all.” She said eventually, looking at me; breaking the pause.

She stood up and walked over to me.

“What is this” she said softly, lifting her hand and tugging at my hair.

Her hand then let go of my hair and moving down to her other hand, to grab the front of my jacket.

“And this.”

She looked up into my eyes, and I watched painfully has hurt flickered in them.

“Who are you?”

Her hazel eyes left my blue ones, and she turned- leaving the room. No glance back.

As I watched her leave, I stopped myself from following her to explain. I knew she needed time alone to process. Hell, I needed time alone to process.