Chapter 1

“Stephanie! You’re late. Get downstairs now!” my mother screamed from the kitchen.

I cringed at the sound of my full name. Only my mother could call me something as pathetic and girly as Stephanie.

I stared back into the mirror that was previously and still occupying my attention. I had glanced in it for a second before my mother screamed, only to realize today was not a day I could go to school without touching my hair.

My unruly blonde curls sprung up all over my head at different angles. Usually I wouldn’t have this problem, but last night I’d fallen asleep with my hair wet and loose. Consequently it had dried in a way that made me look like a zombie.

“Stephanie! Did you hear me?!”

I sighed. No time to get the straighter. I quickly grabbed a hair elastic, and pulled my hair into a loose pony.

Without checking to see if my hair had been tamed by this. I grabbed my shoulder bag, swung it around me and bolted downstairs to the kitchen.

“I’m here, I’m here.” I said as I reached it.

“You’re late” replied my mom, who unlike me had her curls perfectly arranged.

I sighed in exasperation - “I know. But you forget how fast I drive.”

She opened her mouth to reprimand my last statement, but it was interrupted by,

“Thats my girl!”

I laughed and turned to look in the hazel eyes of my dad, which matched my own.

“Allan!” My mom scolded for his encouragement.

“Oh sorry Helen, isn’t she supposed to be driving fast? Better cancel that drag race you had planned then poppet.” He winked at me.

I pretended to look disappointed and then swung my arm sideways saying, “shoot!”

Catching my mom expression I laughed again, grabbed an apple from the counter and ran for the front door yelling “later” carelessly behind my shoulder.

I’d leave dad to tell her that we were only joking. She’d never believe me anyway. She never seemed to understand my humour, nor my dad’s identical one. Sometimes I have no idea how they got married.

I flung my bag in the back of my old beat up Ford Mustang, before hopping in the driver seat and headed off to school.

*

I arrived in good time for school. That was one thing I wasn’t kidding with my mom about. I did drive kind of fast when I knew I was late.

I pulled my bag out the back seat, slung it on my shoulder and with my apple in one hand walked up to school.

Other students walked past me, with an occasional greeting as I climbed up the familiar stone steps that lead up to the hellhole of high school. I munched on my apple thinking about the upcoming day. 

I had Mr Rogers for Biology first, before lunch it was Spanish (blah) with Mrs Rodriguez before that was Eng-

"Stevie!!"

I turned quickly to the sound of desperation calling out my well-known nickname.

There, near the dustbins, was my best friend Andy who had been hoisted up by a throng of footballers as they carried him to the nearest massive bin.

"Shit." I said aloud and started running. As soon as I took off, I knew I wasn’t going to reach there in time. I needed a plan to stop them momentarily...