Chapter 17: The Endless Night

Start from the beginning

Petra grimaced and scowled, "Sophie... Nice meeting you here. I'm surprise you're not busy chasing fat-bellied businessmen tonight."

Sophie's face was red with embarrassment while Logan tried his best to hold his laughter down before they could burst out. Petra maintained her smug look as Sophie turned to her side, asking for Nikolei's back up. Her face soon turned redder seeing Nikolei just threw her a boring stare and sipped the champagne from the flute he took from the nearby waiter.

After a while, Nikolei spoke up, "Where's mom?"

Logan nudged his head towards a group of women talking. Nikolei nodded in understanding and continued to sip his alcoholic drink. Sophie remained silent by his side and he was thankful of it. He would be damned and went home with a headache tonight if his date decided to make a scene like she always do.

"Why'd you bring her to the ball?" Petra whispered in Nikolei's ear with a hint of disgust under her tone. "You could've just show up alone or bring me as your date, or any other ladies would do just fine."

Nikolei sighed and glanced at his sister. "She won't shut up about it. Besides, I always bring Sophie to formal functions."

"So? Just flick her off then! You have no problem in doing so to Alexandra." She retorted. After a few seconds, she realised that she had just touched the sensitive topic in their conversation when Nikolei stood with full silence in his position.

From her eyes, she could see the bulging vein started to appear on her brother's neck. She sighed inwardly, "Look, I'm sorry. It was uncalled for me to say that."

It was all silence. Nikolei didn't bother to retort back at his sister. Half of his good mood for tonight had been flushed down the drain. With Sophie clinging onto his arm who was busy throwing the women around her her snarky glares, he was getting slightly irritated and had wished that he was home instead of attending the ball tonight.

But no, he couldn't do that to Patricia who had been like his own dear mother throughout the years they have worked together. For her, he was more than willing to go through this night without having to yell at somebody.

"Nikolei, dear! Thank you for coming." Patricia held out her arms and engulfed him in her hug.

Nikolei smiled faintly towards the woman clad in pink ball gown dress. She had a huge smile on her face as she winked at him before pulling his arm with her. She eagerly pulled his arm towards a man in his sixties, drinking a flute of champagne. The man instantly grinned as Patricia pressed her lips to his lovingly.

"Honey, I want you to meet my most loyal client, Nikolei Machiavelli. Nikolei, this is my husband, Jerry." She introduced.

Jerry's brow shot up as he shook his hands. "I assume your father is Logan Machiavelli?"

"Yes, I'm his son. I've heard a lot about you from my father, Mr. Carson."

"Good things, I suppose." He grinned. "Call me Jerry, son. No need for formalities."

Nikolei chuckled, "Of course, Jerry. Though my father did mention you're a brute for giving him a strict diet for him to follow."

Irritated that she was not introduced, Sophie interrupted their warm conversation. "I'm Sophie Qaldwell, Nikolei's girlfriend."

Patricia and Jerry stopped chuckling and turned their attention towards the woman who just interrupted their conversation. Both their eyebrows shot up judging Sophie with their heated gaze, waiting for the next word to come out of her pretty little mouth. Nikolei sighed inwardly, slowly pinching the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger.