[ 0 ]

Gotham was a dark place. With it neighboring the rich city of Metropolis, it looked like a ghetto place for criminals. Well, nobody's entirely wrong on that part. Superman had protected Metropolis, he was great and powerful- basically an alien from many people's perspectives. A heroic alien.

The news switched on and Aleksandr looked at the flatscreen t.v intently, holding a glass of wine and his other hand stuffed inside of his pocket.

"Batman has striked again, imprinting this kidnapper as one of his known. It seems as if the cops aren't doing anything to stop him, angered civilians say. For our next story-"

Aleks stopped tuning in once his phone vibrated and rung in his pocket. Picking it up swiftly he noticed the call was from James. A soft smile appeared on his face as he answered it, pulling it to his ear.

"Were you watching the news?"

"Jeez James, it was literally just on. You're quick to call," Aleks teased, feeling the anger radiate through the cellular device.

"Now's not the time to joke around, Aleksandr. I really want to learn more about this guy. You said you know Batman, right?"

Aleks raised his brows, "You could say that, yes."

James Wilson sighed over the line. "Nevermind. It's hopeless. He doesn't answer to anyone- I've heard this in papers. I need to know his intentions on this and why he is stopping crime as a criminal. It's surreal, I've never heard anything like it before."

"I wouldn't really think he's that much of a criminal."

"He breaks laws, Aleks. That's what a criminal is."

"Mmm, alright. You do know he doesn't answer that much to me, I barely even speak to him."

"Got my damn hopes up for nothing, then. Whatever, someday I'll see what's going on with the guy. What are you doing at the moment?"

"Speaking to you, obviously." It was quiet over the line. "I'm joking. I'm not doing anything, just drinking wine. Why?"

James hummed, "I dunno. I was wondering if we should hang out perhaps. Catch up for old time's sake, we never seem to talk like friends anymore."

"Well, you're always busy with your job, same with me. It's hard to keep in touch with all the things happening in Gotham lately." Aleks wanted to tell James what happened, why he himself was entirely busy and exhausted, but he wanted to protect the detective. He knew if James was aware, it'd ruin their hopes of ever having a healthy friendship- or, if he ever had the guts, a more intimate relationship.

"I can't help but to agree. Shall I come over now?"

The billionaire felt himself softly smile at the thought of just talking to James face-to-face. "Yes, I'd love that."

"Great, see you then." James had hung up nearly simotaneously with Aleksandr. Putting his phone on the counter, he stepped onto the balcony outside and looked down at the gigantic height.

He had hoped his secret identity wouldn't have to show for this one night with Wilson. That'd be most unfortunate.

&

The laughter filled their between the two, obviously they both were buzzed. With both of them just having a nice, humorous conversation while looking out upon the bright, bustling city- it made it feel like home. It truly did. The thought made him warm up and snug on the inside, which was very unusual for the secretive man.

"You think we should lay off the alcohol for a moment? I don't want you to get in a car crash when you ride home," Aleksandr hinted towards his nearly-a-decade-of-knowing-eachother best friend.

James raised a brow, "You want me to go home?"

He remained quiet, blinking a few times. "Well, I don't want you to. I'd love for you to sleepover."

James Wilson took a tiny sip of his beer, murmuring a small, "Ditto."

It was quiet on the balcony for a moment. They both just looked at the sky, adoring the stars and the black clouds looking like smoke against the moon. "I'm surprised you're not having a panic attack about how far up we are."

"I'm like, 40% drunk, Aleksandr. Drunk me don't care."

They both laughed.

Laughing was something Aleks never really did often, he was always in so much pain thinking about recent events and past events. He tries very hard to let go of things, but they're like parasites. Sucking out his blood, ripping of his flesh, eating him alive and infecting him with disease. It was killing him on the inside.

"Aleks, are you alright? I've never really seen you with the much... strain in your face," James gently spoke.

The CEO's hands squeezes tightly over the bottle, "I'm good. It's just... It's hard to believe we live in such a cold world."

James' eyes moved from contact and up into the sky. "I'm not that afraid." Aleks wanted to ask why, but it seems the detective already knew that. "Batman. A lot of people may find him a criminal, but I dunno, I think it's pretty neat that we have some sort of..."

"Hero?" Aleks interrupted the pause. He never really thought of his alter-ego as a hero, it was more of a different title.

"More like a knight. A dark knight. Guarding us, protecting the city."

Right in that moment, Aleks felt himself staring at James Wilson with shock and awe. Oh, how did he ever fall for such an angel that wasn't on his level?

"I doubt you'd want to meet him. He's the darkness, you're the light, do you really think that'll turn out fine?" Aleks discouraged. He knew that the curly-haired human wanted to see Batman for himself.

James huffed. "In history, Batman has helped out detectives and the police. He helps, Aleks. I'd expect you'd have more faith in your friend."

The billionaire closed his mouth, the night wind blowing on his brown hair swiftly. "I guess you're right. You really want to get caught up in this mess though?"

The slanted smile grew on his face as he spoke the following words, "It's my job, Aleks. It's an exciting journey to follow." The man was very eager to see the guardian himself, the Bat of Gotham, and he knew what he would do.

"I guess you'll see for yourself at somepoint, Detective Wilson."

- - -

word count
1035

hey guys! sorry if this was a snooze cruise,
it is the prologue after all. the action will
start kicking in in later chapters, boy do i
have a lot planned. see ya l8r homeslice.