Chapter 22: The Note

Cassia's point of view:

As I lay slumped against the wall of the bunker, the tiniest fluttering of a noise is enough to make me shoot forward with panic.

Adam doesn't notice the sound, too involved with trying to figure out the last few powers left in the box.

Kyle and Susan fell asleep hours ago, and now they're nothing more than a tangled mess of limbs against the wall. Their legs are stacked on top of each other, their arms are tangled, and their heads slump at odd angles that suggest they'll both be sore tomorrow.

I roll my eyes at them as I get up and head for the door.

I feel apprehensive, telling myself over and over that the sound was my imagination and that I should just ignore it and go back to sleep.

But each step brings me closer to the door, and suddenly my palm is over the handle.

"Cassia, are you alright? What are you doing?" Adam asks me in a whisper, his voice making me jump a little.

"I thought I heard something," I tell him quietly, turning the handle slowly and opening the door a crack.

I hear Adam spring up from his chair to stop me, but I glance outside before he gets the chance.

A white piece of paper lays at the end of the ladder that leads above ground, and I know that definitely wasn't there the last time we had a visitor.

"Cassia, close the door," Adam tells me as he tries to force me away from it, but I quickly grab the bottom of his face and pull it down to where I am, forcing him to look outside.

"That piece of paper," I point, and curiosity gets the better of me as I open the door completely and walk to pick it up, then rushing back inside.

Adam looks like he wants to scold me, but even his curiosity is evident at the piece of paper.

I unfold it and hold it out for us both to see, reading a letter that looks like it was written hastily:

Alright bunker squad, I've got news: Cassia, I found Evelyn and her family like you asked me to, and I've got a plan to sneak them down in a couple days. Hopefully it won't be too crowded and maybe Adam will be done with the box. Sorry I haven't been able to visit in a while, but it's been too dangerous. I hope you'll understand. Will hasn't shown any interest in investigating the stone over this place in a while, so you should all still be good. Don't know anything about Julia or Peter as usual though. When Evelyn and her family get down there, I hope you guys can formulate some kind of plan from here. I'll try my best to visit soon, but I can't promise anything.
-Cade

P.S. Cass, I hope you're keeping my police badge safe. We have things to talk about the next time I see you.

I lower the letter as my cheeks begin to flush, folding it back up slowly and putting it in my pocket.

"You read slow; I finished that thing in ten seconds," Adam comments, trudging back over to his chair where the box is.

"That's what you choose to comment on? You're not gonna scold me for telling him to find Evelyn and her family without asking your permission?" I ask him, a bit baffled.

"Why would I scold you? Just because I'm a couple years older doesn't make me anyone's guardian. Besides, it's genius, Cassia. We could use their help," Adam says nonchalantly.

I feel a smile creep up on my lips at that.

"I'm sorry, did you say genius? I think I heard genius, but maybe if you could say it a little louder. I didn't quite catch that," I try with a smirk on my face.

"Fat chance of me repeating that ever again," Adam just mumbles under his breath, which provokes an eye roll from me.

I look back at Kyle and Susan, not being able to understand how two people could be such heavy sleepers. Neither of them have moved for hours, and they don't even flinch at the conversation between Adam and I.

I envy them and their ability to do that.

"They're going to be so confused when Evelyn and her family get here," Adam mentions to me, and then I remember that they stayed behind when went looking for Henley for what feels like an eternity ago.

"Let them be confused; we'll all be close by the time it's over. Besides, Susan loves meeting new people," I mention, heading back to my spot against the wall and sinking down to the floor.

A comfortable moment of silence passes and I begin to drift off once again, but Adam breaks it soon enough.

"So you're holding onto Cade's police badge?" He asks, glancing over his shoulder at me with one eyebrow raised and a smirk on his face.

"Can we please not discuss this?" I beg him, turning away from him so he can't see my face turning red. "He's just an ally."

"Doesn't seem that way to me," Adam chuckles.

"Well Adam, you're the one who knows everything, so why don't you tell me what Cade is to me?" I snap, glaring at him.

"I have a few guesses of what he is to you, but none of them would get a very nice response from you, so I'll let you figure it out," he muses, turning back to the box.

"It's terrible timing," I mutter, but of course he hears me.

"It's great timing; turmoil brings people closer. Look at those two," Adam says, referencing Susan and Kyle.

I choose not to answer him, simply turning away and letting the red on my face turn maroon with embarrassment.

This is no place to discuss such a topic, and there's way more things to worry about.

I do, however, find myself wondering as I drift off what the P.S. part of Cade's letter was that he wanted to talk to me about the next time he visits. Considering the fact that he called me 'Cass' again, it's probably going to be something that would solidify one of Adam's guesses as to what the two of us are.

My head spins at the thought, and I groan internally at the idea of what that conversation will end up being.