Chapter 20: Ask Questions

Peter's point of view:

After becoming friends with the darkness to which I've been confined to for so long, I regretfully manage to open my eyes after what feels like an eternity of solitude.

The first thing I register is sunlight streaming out of a nearby window, illuminating the room and blinding me with its searing brightness.

The second thing I register, of course, is the pain.

The pain is not dull either, but rather the kind that is hot and alive with torment. My side feels like lead, my legs have no feeling, and my back aches with every move I make.

I start trembling at the pain and ball my hands into fists, tears gathering in small quantities at the corners of my eyes.

Looking down and squinting through my blurry vision, I see that I've got IVs attached everywhere and all kinds of electrodes attached to me. A breathing mask covers my mouth, and my heart rate starts racing on the monitor.

"Easy now, big guy; you're alright," someone says beside me, pressing some buttons on the heart monitor that sends the electrodes on my skin buzzing with activity.

"What are you doing?" I yell at the person, although it's muffled with the breathing mask.

"I'm sending small bursts of electricity through these wires to slow down your heart; otherwise you'll pump the medication through your body too quickly," the doctor says.

Turning my head with great difficulty, I manage to see with my vision clearing that it's...am I in a hospital with Steven?

"Steven, is that you?" I ask.

"Sorry, what's that?" Steven inquires as he comes over to remove my oxygen mask.

The action leaves me gasping at first, but then my breaths even out.

"What happened?" I ask him after a moment.

Steven looks at me with concern, furrowing his eyebrows at my question. "You don't remember anything?"

I think back for a second, trying to retrace my memories. But like always, it's fuzzy and confusing.

"I think I remember Julia preparing a speech to be broadcasted, but nothing after. Why am I in a hospital?" I ask.

Steven looks worried, grabbing a nearby clipboard and writing down what I say on it.

"For starters, you're not in a hospital; you're in my office in the prison where I treat severe cases. Now back to the subject at hand, you really don't remember what happened after Julia's speech? I didn't even see it happen and yet I know. You...they whipped you, they beat you! You got shot three times. Henley was going to let you die," Steven rambles.

"Well, I guess that would explain why I feel so terrible," I try to say lightheartedly, but the look on Steven's face is unsettling.

"Think hard, Peter. You can't remember?" He pushes, but I know I don't have to think to know my memory is gone.

"No I can't remember, so stop looking at me like that," I snap.

Steven throws his clipboard on the floor, dissatisfied and angry. "I can heal your body, but your head is still a mess," he sighs.

"Do you think I don't know that, Steven? I have Henley telling me one thing and Julia telling me something else. I don't know if I'm good or bad, and I can't tell who my friends and enemies are anymore. I can't remember my home or the people I once knew before this place. I hate it here and I hate everything this place has done to me. I'm homesick for the home I can't even recall anymore. Is this prison all I have left?" I demand, finally letting loose all the thoughts I've been keeping inside of me.