Chapter 31. What the hell is that?

Start from the beginning

"I told you-- we just walked in and saw the jeep on top of the guy. That's all." I repeated my story to the deputy that had asked me another version of the same question he has been asking me for the past ten minutes. After I managed to collect my thoughts I picked the phone up off the floor and I told the operator there had been an accident, and someone was dead.

Not even three minutes later the cops all showed up with an ambulance and everything, thankfully I was able to get Stiles up and back to talking and moving again. I don't know what happened to him- it was like he was paralyzed or something, and it scared the crap out of me. I think it had something to do with whatever that goo on the door handle was, because he was fine until he touched it- and he didn't want me to touch it.

The deputy nodded, "If you think you can't say anything because you're afraid that someone is going to come back and make sure you don't say anything- you don't have to worry about that."

I clenched my jaw as I ran my hands over my face, "I didn't see anything. Can I please go now?"

Rain had started to fall, and I was wet and cold and confused. I just wanted to go over to Stiles and make sure he was okay so we can get the hell out of here. These past two days have been entirely too stressful for me, and I just really want a good nights sleep in my nice warm, and comfortable bed. I think I've earned at least that much.

"Yeah, you can go." He said with a sigh as he walked over to another one of the deputies at the scene, they seemed to be budding up out of nowhere. How many deputies does Sheriff Stilinski even need?

I quickly made my way over to where Stiles was sitting at the tail end of the ambulance, Sheriff Stilinski had just walked away- leaving him alone. He was rubbing at his hands, maybe they still felt weird. I quickened my pace so I could get to him faster, but it was like he sensed me coming or something because his head snapped up and he hopped off the back and made his way over to me.

"Are you okay?" I asked him quietly as I grabbed his hand and turned it over in mine, inspecting it for some sort of evidence as to what happened to him, what could have made him lose control of his entire body like that? Did that lizard looking creature have anything to do with it?

He nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine. My hand still feels a little weird, but it should be okay. We can't take my jeep- it's being impounded as evidence, so we have to call Scott."

"Okay, that's fine." I mumbled, and before I could stop myself I wrapped my arms around his body tightly. He really scared me when he was just laying there like that, not being able to move or even speak. I didn't know what to do or how to help him- I have never felt so useless in my entire life. That moment, is definitely my low point.

He didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around me as well, burying his face in the crook of my neck as he squeezed me tightly. He had been scared, I can tell just by how tight his grip on me is, and that's perfectly normal. He was paralyzed and couldn't talk for a good five minutes. I could have easily of been in the same situation if I had grabbed the door just a second earlier, but he managed to stop me. Even when he should be worrying about himself, he is worrying about me. At least he is keeping his promise, the one about keeping me as safe as he possibly can.

I'm not quite sure how long we stayed like that, it felt like hours- but I knew that it couldn't have been because we had broken apart at some point to call Scott, but then we were once again holding each other as we took shelter from the rain underneath the awning of the Mechanic's place. Scott arrived shortly after that, so we had to venture back out into the rain to get to the car. It didn't occur to me that I could have made Stiles get in the back seat since this is also my car, until I was already seated and comfortable... dang.