I decided to end his misery so I whispered to the blade instinctively, "Castiel".

It seemed to brighten even more and it bathed the whole room in a wonderful white light. I looked up from my blade and glared at the man. I threw the blade upwards and caught the hilt of the sword. Finally, I launched the blade at him. It spun in the air until it landed in its target.

His heart

His heart.

The odd thing was that it didn't turn back into a hilt in mid-air and the man turned into dust. I know he wasn't a demon. He was a shadowhunter so why did he turn into dust?

 He was a shadowhunter so why did he turn into dust?

The thought occurred to me. I ran to the blade that had clattered to the floor as its target disintegrated. It was still lit up. I picked it up and whispered the same word I used earlier, "Castiel" and it stopped glowing.

Wow.

"Lily!" a voice shouted, causing me to look up and break out of my trance.

"Jace? Clary? Alec. Iz." It started out as questions but I ended up saying their names as statements.

"And Simon!" Said person said but we ignored him.

"Did you see her? Dot. Have you seen her?" "OH MY... IS THAT A BODY?"

I moved out of the way and they saw the body of the hunter that hadn't disintegrated. "And to answer your question. Yes, Clary. I saw her. But I got here too late. They had already gotten into a portal and more men came through and I couldn't do anything but try to get an answer from the remaining men. I shot one of the men outside, which stalled the other men long enough for the portal to shut, leaving them behind..." I continued to explain what happened.

They were shocked to say the least. To be honest so was I...

"No... she was just trying to help us... and now she's gone", Clary lamented. Simon apologised? Or was he trying to say his condolences.

"...it's not safe here. We have to get back to the institute right now!"

"What about our memories? They're just gone?"