Chapter Seven

I quickly jumped away from the window as Zach shut it. I started to panic, and I started to have breathing problems, so I reached into my pocket and took out my inhaler and puffed my medicine down my throat. I began to relax again, plus it helped that Gray was rubbing my back slightly to help comfort me. Suddenly, a man covered in blood opened the back doors and tried to climb in.

"They're coming!" He yelled before being taken by a Rapter, leaving some blood in the back of the truck. My eyes were suddenly covered and I almost screamed, then realized it was just Exon. I heard a sickening crunch and I already knew what had happened. I heard Exon let out a small yelp and pulled the me closer to her. She uncovered my eyes and I saw Gray in her other arm, and her in Zach's. Just as the Rapter was about to jump in to get us next, Claire finally got the truck moving, the doors in the back swinging wide open.

"Just hold on back there!" I heard Claire yell from the front. All of a sudden, I heard glass breaking and Claire scream. Just as Zach was about to open the window, Exon yanked him back down and pointed at another Rapter running up to the back of the open truck. Zach began to get up again, but she grabbed his wrist, a scared look on her face as if saying 'Please don't do anything stupid. I can't lose you.'

Zach shook her hand off and quickly grabbed a large metal container of some sort and started rolling it to the doors, attempting to crash it into the Rapter. Echo, I think it was but I wasn't sure, was too smart and dodged it. Exon suddenly stood up slowly, quickly heading to our left and picked up a big tazzer. She stumbled slightly, but she quickly regained her balance and moved slowly toward the doors. I looked at her with wide eyes, thinking she'd gone completely mad!

"Exon! Are you insane?!" Zach yelled at her and she rolled my eyes at him.

"Zach you should know by now that I am completely as mad as the Mad Hatter." She joked. "But seriously, just make sure I don't fall." She said, searching the tazzer for the ON button probably. Zach grabbed her waist, holding her as still as he could as she continued to search for the button while pointing it to the doors. The Rapter suddenly jumped and landed in the truck, and the tazzer came to life with a beautiful electric blue at the end and she stuck the Rapter with it, making it fall out of the truck and roll in the ground, stunned.

The truck jolted slightly, but it was enough to make them lose their balance. Zach fell on his side and Exon fell on her back beside him.

"Exon, are you okay?" Zach said sitting up and slowly pulling her into a sitting position. I saw her cringed and grab the back of her head, and I wanted to cry again.

"I'm fine, just hit my head. I'm fine." She said and smiled at him. He still looked concerned when Claire yelled.

"Are you kids okay?" Claire yelled and we crawled back to the window, opening it.

"We're okay." Zach said to her while I spotted Owen coming behind us on his bike.

"Owen!" Me and Exon yelled and he smiled at us before moving to the side of the truck to talk to Claire.

"We got to get indoors! Follow me!" We hear Owen yell at her. She nodded her head before pulling out her phone and dialing someone again.

"Lowery, we're heading your way. Call in a chopper."

***

We'd been sitting in the back of the truck for about five minutes in total silence. It wasn't awkward, but since it was quiet and we'd had a very..eventful day..I was starting to get tired. Zach was on his phone, since it miraculously didn't break during our adventure. Exon had her head on his shoulder, watching what he was doing on his phone.

I was staring forward at the back of the truck, and was hugging Gray. I found it a lot more comfortable that just sitting there in an uncomfortable position with nothing to lean on, so I just leaned on him and wrapped my arms around his waist. He had done the same thing back to me and leaned his head against mine. He was already asleep, and I was starting to doze off as well.