16

Bentley

"Nah bruh, can't be." Kendall dropped his food back into the bag. "It's Pooh baby?"

 "It's Pooh baby?"

"Yeah." I sighed shifting my gaze to the ground. "I told her to keep in contact. I know Pooh would want us to be around and wouldn't want his babymoms struggling alone."

"Right but.. damn. She been doing it alone?"

"Yeah man, plus she didn't even know Pooh was dead."

"Shit." He dropped his head into his hands.

I glanced over at Aliye and she was busying herself going through my clothes and seeing what she could take. Half of her wardrobe these days belonged to me.

"Yeah, how you feel though?" I lowered my voice. I know he wasn't comfortable with Aliye knowing the news. He hadn't even told Robyn.

"I feel as good as I'm gone feel." He shrugged.

"I ain't wanna push the issue but how bad is it Ken?"

He sighed turning away from me slightly before speaking. "I mean, depends on your definition of bad. I got a surgery scheduled for this Thursday. To get a port in my chest."

"What does that mean? What's it for?"

"It draws blood and it's where I'd get my chemo, you know.. so they don't gotta stick me in the arm every single time. That's tiring."

"You scared?" My eyebrows rose as I asked the question. Probably not the smartest question but with how scared I was, I at least needed to know that he was feeling the same way.

"You know, I was at first." He sighed. "When they first told me it came back, but I'm young Bent. If Ima die young, Ima die young and happy. Not young and scared, you know?"

"I can't let you die at all Kendall, fuck. I need you here bro."

"You gotta take that up with God."

"Leukemia?" Aliye finally spoke for the first time since we got here. Both of our heads shot in her direction. We'd thought we'd been quiet enough with this conversation.

"I-" Kendall started.

"Dahlia had leukemia. She's been cured for about ten years now." She muttered still looking through my drawers for more clothes. "I won't mention this to Robyn, but damnit Kendall you can't leave her okay? You can't leave any of us." When she finally looked up at us her eyes were glossed over. "You can't. Okay?"

The emotion in her voice evoked Kendall's emotions. He twisted up his lips as he dropped his head. Neither of us knew what to say so we all fell silent and Aliye sniffled turning her attention back to my clothes.

Trying to break the awkward silence, I spoke. "Baby, you just gone take my clothes?"

"Can I?" Her voice was sweet, I was ready to give her anything she asked for.