Chapter 32: The past and present puzzle.

Playlist - If this is love by Ruth B.

                      Is this love by Corinne Bailey Rae.

16 years ago, ...

In a hurry, he took down a few of his clothes from where they'd been hung in his closet and left them on the bed. Quickly, he took them off the hanger and without delicate folding, he stuffed them into the small travelling bag he laid on his bed.

He heard a sound and rushed to the widow to have a look but there was no sign of any car driving into the compound so he hurried back to what he was doing.

Zipping up, he picked up his wallet off the bed and after taking a glance at the picture within, he shut it and tucked it within the back pocket of his trouser.

A little longer Nora and we'll soon be together.

He lifted the bag off the bed and hastened his steps towards the door out of his room. As soon as he opened the door, he froze as his eyes rested on his father that now stood in his path.

His heart sunk in fear as his father stared back at him without saying a word. His face held no expression so it was hard for him to decipher his thoughts but he'd already made up his mind. He had decided to be more courageous. His hold on his bag tightened as he prepared his mind for what comes next.

His father looked from him to the bag and back to him.

"Are you trying to run away?" He questioned as he walked past his son, making his way into his room. His eyes couldn't help but follow the movement of his father who now stood in the center of the room.

Gathering all his courage, he spoke up. "Yes."

"I..." He started.

"... I want to be with her."

"Who? The catholic girl?" His father was quick to speak and that only made his son feel the need to leave so he turned to walk away.

"I doubt she'll be able to leave with you." His father's words halted his steps. Calmly, he made a turn back to him and watched as the older man brought out his hand he's hidden behind. Opening it, he revealed a white rosary which was covered in a bit of blood.

As the teenage boy recognized the familiar string of beads, he let go of the bag and it fell to the ground. His eyes grew teary and all sorts of thoughts swirled in his mind.

His father made his way up to him. He took hold of his son's hand and left the bloody rosary in his hand. Meeting his father's face, the tears trickled down his cheeks.

"Always remember... you did this to her." Having said that, he left a light tap on his arm and walked past him, leaving the room.

Staring down at the rosary in his hand, the blood and the familiarity, his tears only flowed more. He knew his father wasn't bluffing. He knew very well what this meant. He'd been warned but he chose to not heed it and now...

Always remember... you did this to her.

Present day...

Caden

"Alright, thank you. Please don't let him know I called."

"Okay madam." The call disconnected after wards and I left the phone on the seat beside mine.

A loud sigh left my lips as I glance outside through the window.

"It's getting real dark... you should be heading home Blayze and not working overtime again."

There was honking from behind and I realized the traffic light had changed to green so I drove forward.

There was conflict. I was in conflict and lately, that has been the situation. I was way too conflicted about staying put, minding my own business and for some reason, I felt the opposite at the same time.

Questions regarding him keep flooding my mind from time and to time. I'm a bit more interested than I would like to admit. Why is he working over time again? He does that home. Well, at least he's home.

Home.

Funny how I've began referring that cold mansion as home.

Giving up, I found myself making a U-turn at the next turn.

I stepped out of the elevator, every step I take towards his office, I'm vexed with myself and at the same time telling myself that this is all part of my plan to upset him further. Maybe that's a lie. Maybe it's not. Anyways, I don't know anymore and besides, I'm already here so I best get over with it.

The office was empty, his secretary had gone home as well. For what seemed like a while, I stood in front of the door into his office, conflicted about knocking or not. Finally, I placed a few light knocks. There was no response so gently, I turned the knob, opening the door. Once I sighted him behind his desk, head lowered, resting on the table, I calmly made my way in, shutting the door behind me.

Is he sleeping?

I wondered as I got closer. Once beside him, I bent a bit to take a closer look at him. I couldn't see his face. He had it faced down while his head rested on his arm which supported itself on the desk.

Letting out a light sigh, I wondered why he wouldn't simply head home since he felt exhausted.

His hair. I watched it once more. My fingers itched, a strange feeling to run my hand through it. Unable to control myself any longer, I let it lead itself, second by second towards its reach. Lightly, my fingertips made contact.

It would seem I was getting greedier. At first, just making contact was needed but now, I wanted something more. I found myself soothing it, gently. I couldn't help the simple smile that drew across my face.

Why? Why do I feel good about doing this? I hate him... right? The answer should be yes but, I really didn't know anymore. When did everything change? When did he create a soft spot for himself in my heart? Just when exactly?

Lost in thoughts, I must have failed to feel the slight movement of his head until it was raised and his eyes eventually met mine. I froze in that moment and it would seem that we stayed like that for the longest while.

His eyes. They read sadness. For the first time... I could read them.

As if understanding that I've noticed something, he was first to look away. Steadily, I retracted my hand, hoping he didn't notice. I stood straight once more.

"You... If you're going to fall asleep here then you should just head home." I spoke up, anything to ease up the awkwardness that hung in the air.

"Why are you here?" He questioned, his voice low and unlike him. His gaze still away from mine. It made me a little worried.

"I..." I attempted but no great excuse was coming to mind. That only made me feel pathetic.

What exactly am I doing here? Did I really worry about a man that threatened my family and forced me into a marriage with him? Did I actually come here to check up on him? Doesn't this only seem more pathetic of me?

Using my hands, I brushed my hair back, drawing in a deep breath at the same time.

"I made a wrong turn. I lost my way so you shouldn't mind me." I was quick to say before taking steps forward, an attempt to leave the office.

"Caden." The sudden call of my name forced me to draw to a halt. That felt different. No, it definitely sounded different.

Calmly, I made a turn and watched as he stood to his feet. His face held no expression but his eyes read the same from earlier. As he took steps closer, I realized his face seemed a little paler than usual.

"I know this might be unusual but let me do this as a favor from you." His voice, his words... they seemed sullen, sad and it only heightened my worry.

"Fav..."

The word trailed away as I felt his arms gently wrap around me, drawing me into a warm hug. Too baffled, shocked, I stayed put, frozen to be exact.

In that moment, that second, I heard it. I felt it... My heart, racing like never before.