"Hey," I smiled, stepping toward him as he did the same. "How did it go?"

His smile didn't falter. That was a good sign.

"I don't think she liked me at first," he shrugged, sliding his hands into his pockets. "I figure we worked things out about halfway through the interview. Mandy didn't seem to add me to her favorites list, but she said I had something and told me not to dress like a hillbilly when I come to work tomorrow."

I grinned so hard it kind of hurt my cheeks. "You got the job! That's great!"

Alex looked proud of himself, smiling. "Yeah. I honestly didn't think I had a chance. She liked your idea on having a full-time music writer, though. I think that's what saved me."

The more I talked to him, the more I liked his personality. Alex seemed like a total sweetheart and it made me happy to know I was going to be working with him.

"That's awesome," I said. "I look forward to working with you."

Wow. Could that have been any more generic?

"So listen..." He patted his hands on his thighs, thumbs hooked in his belt loops again. "I was wondering... If you're not doing anything tomorrow night... I was thinking..."

I wanted to tell him to spit it out but I didn't want to be rude.

"Sure," I said with a smile, answering his question before he even put it into words.

A light pink color rose to his cheeks and he chuckled nervously. His green eyes sparkled in the dim light. They reminded me of Ireland with how vivid they were.

"Dinner?" he asked, leaning against the backdoor of his crew cab.

That would make two dinner dates in less than a week. My confidence was quickly escalating.

"Dinner sounds great," I agreed.

We exchanged numbers and I gave him my address, just as Selena had hoped, and I congratulated him once more before leaving.

On my way home I had to stop for gas and called Selena while I waited for the tank to fill.

"So guess what happened after you left." I was unable to wipe the grin off my face even though I was freezing my ass off.

There was a short pause on the other end, followed by a squeal that made me have to hold the phone away from my ear.

"Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!" she said excitedly.

I made a face as if she could see me. "You know how you wanted me to get Alex's number?"

"No way!" she exclaimed. "No fucking way! Oh my god! See what happens when you listen to me? I'm like a fairy godmother. I should be a matchmaker for a living."

I shook my head, putting the nozzle back on the pump.

"I didn't ask him," I said, earning a gasp from her. "We exchanged numbers because he asked me to dinner tomorrow night."

"Oh my god!" she squealed again and I was almost positive the man on the other side of the pump could hear her.

"I know. I know." I said, getting back in the car and turning the heat up. "I have to give you all the details the next day."

She giggled at the way I spoke her thoughts before she could. "You know me so well, Kate."

I got home about an hour later, just as it began to snow again. Well that's going to be so much fun to drive in in the morning, I thought to myself as I walked up the narrow path to my front porch.