Chapter 24: Oh, Fuck It

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong with mistletoe?" he asked, running a thumb over the crystalized white berries. I scowled. 

"Are you serious? It's like, a poisonous parasite!" I exclaimed. "And folk just use it as an excuse to do their mushy gushy make out crap in the middle of the fucking room!" 

Jay doubled over in fits of silent laughter, much to my increasing annoyance. 

"It's not funny!" I yelled at him, more pissed than angry. He blinked down at me through layers of shaggy beige hair. 

"Um, it is a little," he admitted, licking his lips innocently. "I mean, you almost sound jealous..." 

"Well I'm sorry that I don't like people sucking face mere inches from my nostrils," I spat. "How come no one yells gross when straight people start snogging anyway?"

He broke out into a wide grin, clear amusement written all over his face. "Um, so you are jealous then? Of like, um, open couples?"

I didn't think it was possible, but I flushed an even deeper shade of embarrassment. "No! Shut the hell up!" 

A middle-aged woman glared at me disapprovingly as she shuffled by clinging to the arm of her giggling preteen daughter. Kind of relieved to have someone to redirect my frustration at, I gladly returned the glower with double the intensity. 

"I think that's pretty much everything," Jay told me, flicking through the contents of the basket with only a mild interest. 

"Awesome. Where're Lee and that again?" 

Jay laughed, and linked his slender arm through mine. Over the past month he'd actually lost a little weight. Not that he had been heavy before or anything, in fact he'd always been pretty slim. It was just that his arms were slightly more defined and his stomach slightly more firm. No complaints from me, really. I was more envious than anything. 

I blushed and I scowled, but I didn't unhook my arm from his as we ambled through the shop, peering down every aisle in search of our two best mates.

When I caught sight of a whip of reddish-brown hair, I almost fell over in shock. 

Lee and Lewis, standing next to a tree... 

K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

"When the fuck did this happen?" I demanded, awkwardly running up to them with Jay flailing behind me, trying to stop the flow of items slipping free from the confines of the metal basket. They immediately broke apart, both flushed but grinning. I stopped a few feet in away from them, pausing to catch my breath. 

"Um, congrats man," Jay chortled, bumping fists with Lewis in the traditional 'manly-footballer-douche' way. I rolled my eyes, turning to a gleefully grinning Lee. 

"About time," I grumbled, slapping her lightly on the shoulder in a friendly manner. Lee simply smiled. 

"Yeah. I love mistletoe." 

"Well, at least that's one of us." She laughed, despite not knowing quite what I meant. She was probably delirious from the recent, uh, kiss... Yeah... 

"Eh, who initiated it?" Jay enquired, carefully monitoring his inquisitive tone. My eyes went wide, knowing exactly what he was referring to...

 Our bet.

 "Well, uh, I kissed her," Lewis confessed shyly, rubbing the back of his neck. My jaw dropped. "But she kinda hinted at it first..."

 "Took you long enough to get it," Lee teased, peeling his hand away from his neck and linking it with her own. I smiled, happy for them, but felt a small pang of jealousy. I really wished I could grab Jay's hand in public like that, without a second thought...