Chapter 1

jaz at the top

"Papa come on you have to eat." I held the spoon up, holding it to where his mouth was. He grunted and continued to stare at the wall.  I sighed.

"Come on p-" the metal spoon slipped from my fingers and came in contact with the glass dining room table, causing some of the oatmeal to splatter onto the table.

I stared at my father and shook my head.

"I guess Lola's going to have to do it." I mumbled, not wanting to bother him again.

I picked up the spoon and took it to the sink. Grabbing a paper towel, I put a little bit a of water on there before going back into the dining room and cleaning the oatmeal up.

After throwing the paper towel away, I gave my father one last look before sighing and opening the door for his nurse. I hated seeing him like he was.

It felt like just yesterday my father was the old him, teaching me how to play basketball in the driveway... but now...things were different.

"Hi Lola. He's in the dining room. He wouldn't let me feed him though." I told her as I opened the door for her. She smiled at me, showing off her pearly white straight teeth.

"Hi and that's okay. I'll get him to eat eventually." She said.

I nodded at her before heading up the steps to get ready for my daily run.

"Damn bruh, we just started running and a bitch already dying." Tia wheezed. I rolled my eyes at how dramatic she was being.

"Come on T, we almost around the circle." I told her as I let out my hand. After only two minutes of running, Tia decided to 'collapse' onto the sidewalk.

dramatic lil hoe.

"Hey I heard that!" Tia pouted and grabbed my hand. I laughed and helped her up.

"Alright we almost there. I'm pretty sure you got a minute left of running in you."

"Sis, I don't even have a second left." She mumbled before starting up to job again.

As we made our way back to my house, a moving truck zoomed past us, making us quickly move away from the street.

"Dang, just run us over." Tia yelled at the truck as f the person driving could hear her. I slapped her arm.

"Shut up."

"Nah, now I know they seen us. They in that big ass truck and need to slow the fuck down." Tia pursed her lips and rolled her eyes.

"T, someone is moving in the house next to mine." I pointed as we got closer. My eyebrows raised as I seen the loving truck stop in the driveway.

"Oh you better hope it's a single cute nigga so you can finally get cuffed." She giggled.

"Eh-no thanks. I'd rather not you know..date anyone just yet."

"Is it be-"

I cut her off not letting her continue her sentence. "Yep."

Tia huffed. "Jaz, that was how long ago? Almost a year babe. You can't let one nigga who fucked up make you not want to mess with another nigga." Tia told me.

"I know, I know. I'm just scared you know. A guy could act so nice then months later become a whole 'nother person. I know I shouldn't let a past relationship ruin my view point on guys...but I can't help it." I admitted, looking down.

"Just don't let it change your whole outlook on boys forever. And I mean if you do...start messing with girls." Tia winked at me. I rolled my eyes.

Tia was bisexual and every since she's found out she likes girls too, she keeps telling me to join the 'LGBT' community.

Sorry, but a girl liked dick and nothing but dick.

"No thanks."

"If these were college days you wouldn't be-" I pushed her.

"Hush! We not talking 'bout college." I chuckled.

We decided to just stop jogging and just walk back to my house. As we neared my home , I looked over at the other house and noticed a little girl playing in the grass with a black dog. The little girl was light skin with curly brown hair that was in two puffs. I watched as the front door opened and a brownskinned man poked his head out the door. From what I can see , he was sexy and had a beard. A black hat also sat on the top of his head.

"Sisss, let's hope the momma ain't in the child's life so you can be the step mom." Tia chuckled. I hit her arm.

"A man that fine , the baby momma is still probably in his and the child's life and if not , he for sure has a girlfriend." I said shrugging my shoulders.

As we walked up the porch steps , I look back over at the man. And this time our eyes met.

-