The Dragon and the Fox

Começar do início

“Then you probably smoke this for breakfast! I got this from a reputable merchant all the way in Andruin who gets this particular grass from wood elves.” She took a drag, making it seem like her cigarette was absolutely amazing. When she exhaled, the smoke twirled with silky thickness against her cheeks and through her dark hair. Looking for all the world like the human form of a dragon. Ruddy cheeks, a heart-shaped face, and the arrogant air of confidence, who’s to say she wasn't a dragon in disguise? With a pleasing pout she offered the cigarette again, in elven, “It'll make us a little less nervous while you police our cleanup and all.

He sighed with a smile to the very persuasive, very beautiful, human girl and accepted the cigarette. Taking a drag, holding it in as he considered the feel of it, then exhaling as he spoke, “Find yourself an honest dealer, Jennica. Wood elves don't grow crabgrass.” She guffawed, causing him to as well. Issac found her laughter delightful. Despite the rocky start, her and her friends were very easy to talk to. Chatting it up for a few hours he heard about their schooling and laughed genuinely at their jokes. It could’ve been the cigarette dulling the anxiousness. Either way, by the time they had the camp thoroughly packed and thoroughly cleaned, he was sad they had to go. Especially Jennica.

She buckled the last pack on the nag and looked over at Issac expectantly, “Aren't you coming?” He shook his head so she patted the horse and approached him. Drawing flirtatiously close and speaking quiet elvish, “You said you'd show us new camping grounds a day east. West. Or wherever.” That frown on his face, she hated to see such a look, “You'll make someone mad if you go, huh?

The weed worn away an hour ago, he was glad to find her scent again. It would leave something to remember this by. He looked toward her face and spoke softly, “I would, I'm sure.

“Oh Issac,” she grinned devilishly, “Make 'em mad.

How could he say no? Issac hitched up on the cart along with Jennica bound eastward toward new campgrounds. His kin traveled outside from time to time. This was no different. His father would probably be glad Issac managed to get the humans out of his territory anyway. A few days away wouldn't raise the Werelord's ire. Even with a group of humans. The place he brought them to abut a watering hole fed by the Synteri River, but not too far from the surrounding towns by the main mercantile road which fed into Andruin. Most importantly, it was very out of the way from the vulpine territories. They didn't need to set tents here if they didn't want to. This was a rangers' timeshare that a ranger and fellow elf, Amirian, told Issac of many years ago. They were free to stay, so long as they didn't make a complete mess of the place.

A few days turned into the rest of the summer season. These suburbanites were welcoming, very eager to talk about themselves, their achievements, their families, and their goals. Happy to share what they brought or had to buy from a nearby town and curious about their new elven friend. Issac wasn't terribly forthcoming with information about himself, only implying that he was the son of a lord. However, he was an artist and a dabbling architect. But that's probably not what his father had in mind for him, so he enjoyed his hobbies quietly. Jennica scoffed, saying that he should pursue whatever the hell he wanted and not hide it. If she knew what kind of lord his father was she wouldn't be so brave, he thought. Issac couldn't help but smile though, looking at her face. Maybe she would be.

As the summer drew to an end, it was hard for Issac not to harbor romantic feelings for Jennica. He spent more time with her then any of his new friends. For one, she spoke elven better. She was beautiful, of course. Most attractively, she was free-thinking and intelligent. During the penultimate summer night, Issac sat by the edge of the water watching the rope swing in the warm breeze. The rope they used to launch themselves into the water like a bunch of careless children looked like a black snake dangling against the moonlight. He would miss this place. These people. Suddenly he sensed eyes on him and tensed. He didn't see the amber glint of his kin anywhere but that didn't mean they weren't there. He scoffed quietly to himself in elven, “You had me followed?