Meetings

I couldn't just go straight to Erwin's place. If I were to go straight there during school hours, it wouldn't take Jean long to realise that I had gone off somewhere and, even through text, he could probably tell when I'm lying.

So instead I waited, constantly running the directions through my mind. I may have only been there once, but I was positive that I knew where I was going. When the final bell rang for the end of the day, I gave Jean a quick peck on the lips and told him that I had to go home to do art. He seemed to buy it, and with a small wave goodbye he was off to go and catch his bus home.

Technically, I wasn't even lying, I really did have a bunch of artwork to catch up on. It's just that I wasn't necessarily going to do it right now.

Luckily, my memory was a lot better than I give it credit for and so it wasn't too long before I had made it to Erwin's house. I started to wonder if he'd even be home when I got there, but there wasn't exactly anywhere else that I'd be able to find him and there was no harm in trying.

Well, hopefully.

I rang the doorbell, taking the moments that I was waiting for an answer to fully take in the appearance of his house. How the hell did his family pay for this? Actually, thinking about it, does he even live with his family still? Christ, I didn't even know how old he was.

Maybe this was a mistake. Maybe-

I didn't even have time to change my mind, as only a few moments later the door was opened and Erwin was standing in front of me. He raised a brow slightly, leaning against the doorframe, and I realised that he was waiting for an explanation on why I was at his house and hadn't just called him.

"My boyfriend took your number from me. I came here before when Levi took whatever he took from you..."

That seemed to be good enough for him, and with a small nod and a hum he moved out of the way to let me inside. He led me into the living room, both of us sitting down opposite one another, and after a few minutes of steady silence he spoke.

"I'm guessing you have no idea what Levi stole from me?"

I answered with a small shake of my head. "All I saw was a brown envelope. I have no idea what was inside..."

He gave a small nod that was accompanied by a hum, sitting up straight in his seat and crossing one leg over the other. I shifted awkwardly in my seat, waiting for him to say something before guessing he wasn't going to. "So... What's the plan?"

"Well, firstly, we need to get back what Levi stole from me."

He sounded so formal. He was intimidating but welcoming at the same time. In all honesty, it kind of felt like I was talking to Levi again. They both seemed so similar yet so different at the same time. Still, that's probably a good thing, because despite what people say you can fight fire with fire. And, in this case, that's the only way I'll be able to win.

"And how are we going to do that?" I responded.

"Well, I was-" Interrupted. He was cut off by the sound of his phone ringing in his pocket. He glanced down to the source of the sound, waiting a few moments before pulling it out and checking who was calling him. "Will you excuse me?"

The question was rhetorical, of course, and he was up and out of the room before he had even finished saying it. Yet another similarity to Levi - full of secrets that I know I'll never be told. 

Part of me wondered if he was just doing the exact same thing to me that Levi did. He could manipulate people, that was for sure, and he was definitely going to get something out of me. That was fine, though, I was okay with that. The real question was whether I'd end up getting what I wanted as well.

"Sorry about that," he said, giving me what appeared to be a genuine apologetic look as he stood in the doorway to the living room. "I'm afraid I have to go deal with this. We can continue this the same time tomorrow."

Standing, I gave a small nod before heading over to the doorway. I paused next to him when I heard my name, warily looking up at him.

"Just remember that you do get a say in all of this. I'm not going to force you to do anything you don't want to."

I couldn't even tell if I believed him. I wanted to, and I felt like I could, but after what happened with Levi I was finding it difficult to trust people so easily. So, I just gave another nod before making my way outside.

Tomorrow. I can figure out how to get revenge on Levi tomorrow. Christ, feels like I'll never be able to beat that asshole. 

~

"Eren? Are you even listening to me?"

"Hm?" I looked up at Jean, not even having realised that I had blanked out until he brought me back to reality. I couldn't help it, though. It was only three hours until I had to be back at Erwin's and it was difficult not to think about it. 

He just sighed, removing his arm from my shoulders and turning to look at me properly. "Are you okay? You're not still thinking about what happened with Levi yesterday, are you?"

I shook my head a little, and suddenly I was more aware of the fact that by going to see Erwin I was completely lying to Jean. I didn't have a choice though, did I? Levi needed to be taught a lesson, and if Jean couldn't see that then lying to him was my only option. "I'm fine. Sorry. I just... blanked out, I guess."

Giving a quiet hum, he leaned forward and pecked my lips. "Alright... Hey, do you want to come over to mine after school? We can watch movie? I'll even watch Pretty Little Liars for you."

I bit down on my lip, guiltily rubbing the nape of my neck. "Um... Mind if I pass? I still have to finish off some art..."

"Oh. Uh, yeah, sure," he mumbled, and the disappointed look he had made me feel so much more guilty. "So, uh, you're just gonna go straight home today then?"

I raised my brows slightly, giving a slow nod in answer. "Yeah... Why would I not be?"

He shrugged in response, pulling his phone out of his pocket before standing up. "Just asking. Come on, we'll be late for fourth period if we don't leave soon."

I nodded and stood up as well, slipping my hand into his and offering a faint smile. "Hey, we can always just watch a movie together tomorrow," I assured, pausing for a moment to think. "Or... Maybe even later on today? I might, uh, finish up with my art early enough. I don't know how long it will take, though, so I can't promise anything..."

"Well, you probably won't have much control over when you finish with your art, will you?"

"Uh... No, I guess not," I mumbled quietly.

He gave a small smile, squeezing my hand and kissing my cheek. "Don't worry about it, then. I'll see you when I see you."

I just smiled up at him in response, pulling him into a slow kiss before walking back to school with him in silence.

The following two hours were a total drag, and the walk down to Erwin's felt like it couldn't happen fast enough. All I wanted was some payback, and I hoped to God that after all this waiting the end result would be worth it.

I rang the doorbell, unsurprised when the door was opened almost straight after. He looked me over before standing off to the side to let me inside, and I didn't even look at him as I made my way to the living room. God, I swear if-

I froze when I turned the corner, my eyes widening when my eyes settled on the figure sitting where I had been yesterday, and his name slipped past my lips before I even realised it.

"Jean?"