Chapter Seven~Has Time Rewritten Every Line?

Chapter Six~

 Has Time Rewritten Every Line?

 As the days and weeks passed we were still no closer to having all the right formulas for the tracker and Fletcher was getting impatient.  Nicky continually reassured him that we would have a breakthrough soon.  That seemed to satisfy him for the time being.  But neither Nicky nor I knew exactly when we would figure it out.

Meanwhile, I had taken a apartment in Londonia close to NB so I could walk to work.  I needed my own space and Bruce and Beth had their family life that didn’t need me, one more person, underfoot.

I liked living alone.  It was the first time in a long time that six or seven other people did not share the same space with me.  I bought a Wave and Wavevision, 26th century's version of TV.  They had their own programming but they actually showed 20th and 21st television shows along with the succeeding centuries shows.  Most of which were too sexually graphic, in my opinion, for me to watch.  I stuck with the ‘channels’ that showed stuff from my era.  Music was also available from my time leading up to the present.  Much of it was very similar to my music, some a lot more techno.  It was pretty good, but I stuck with 20th and 21st century music.

Months had passed in the same manner;  slowly.  Pete and Marian were married and it was a beautiful ceremony.  Lucas came with a dark beauty attached to his arm.  Paul had asked me if I would go with him.  I accepted and we had a lovely time.  Paul was a very nice man, gorgeous and well to do, but I just wanted to be friends and so that was the way we conducted our relationship.  Lucas would appear at many of the same functions that I attended with Paul but always with a different girl and she was always beautiful.

My heart seemed to be healing, though one never ‘gets over’ losing a loved one.  One does come to a place where one can live without breaking down into a mess of tears and lamentations.  Work and the occasional after work function helped to keep me distracted.  There was a church around the corner from my apartment I would go to on occasion, though their understanding of the Bible was more screwed up than the dark ages, I had my Bible.  The same one I brought with me to Sherwood and that was a comfort.

Late one afternoon, Lucas came to my office.  I was reading some formulas on the computer when I heard a knock at my door.  We hadn’t spoken to each other in a very long time, except to say ‘hello’.  We kept to the deal to not see each other.

“Come in.”  I said, head down, concentrating on what I was looking at.  Lucas entered the room as I looked up.  My heart jumped, but this time I was not thinking of Guy.  It was Lucas that gave me that feeling.  I quickly pushed it away, feeling as though I were betraying Guy.

“Hi Lucas.”  I said.  What’s up?”

Pulling up a chair, he sat next to me.  “I think it’s time we told the others about us.”  Lucas stated.

“Us?” I asked, quizzically.

“Where we came from.  You, the 12th century, and me, the 21st.”  He was sitting very close to me and staring into my eyes. 

This made me practically squirm in my seat.  I stammered.  “W-Why now?”

Lucas continued to gaze at me.  “Because very soon, you will have the tracker working and we can’t let them use it.”

“I agree,”  I replied, “but why do you think so.”  Lucas raised his hand to touch my cheek with the backs of his fingers.

“I want to take you home with me.  I know that if we go back to our time together, you will remember me and your family will remember you.”