Chapter Four~If Only I knew Now What I Didn't Know Now

Chapter Four~

If Only I Knew Now What I Didn’t Know Now

That stopped me dead in my tracks!  All I could do was stand there with my mouth open.  Incredulously, I replied,  “What kind of game are you playing, Lucas?  That is the most ridiculous thing ...I’m not your wife.  Pausing as the tears choked my voice,  I cried,  “My husband is dead!”   Falling to my knees, I put my face into my hands.  Tears fell, unhindered.  

Dropping to his knees in front of me, Lucas said, in frustration,  “I know.  Bloody hell!  I didn’t mean for it to come out this way” 

Taking a deep breath, he continued, “When you did not return after your jump into time, I decided to go after you.  I took my tracker.” Lifting my face, I stared at him hard.  “Yes,”   he continued, “My tracker, and I went to find you, but I came 500 years into the future.  Both our trackers had the same flaw, but you went back in time and I went forward.”

Hardly able to contain my disbelief, I tried to get up but Lucas grasped me by both arms.

“It’s true!”  he exclaimed.  Almost forcing me to sit on the grass, he went on to tell me the whole story.

When I didn’t return after several weeks (I was only supposed to be gone for a few days) Lucas used his tracker to try to find me.   Upon transporting, Lucas was lying beside a well traveled road.  His tracker had fallen onto the street and was crushed to pieces by a passing vehicle.   Once he realised (easily enough) that he had gone far into the future, he tried to find out if I existed in this time.  But first he had to find out where he was. 

Lucas had transported to an Alliance planet and being dressed in his usual dress shirt and slacks, people assumed he was an Alliance supporter or employee.   He met Pete, who was attempting to find his ancestors. Through Pete, Lucas was able to obtain fake Identification and officer status in the now ended civil war.  With his military background it was easy for Lucas to fake and he led them to believe he was in Intelligence.  Though Pete was an Independent,  Lucas and he had become friends.   This planet was a mixture of Alliance and Resistance.   When he had obtained a job with AIM, Lucas had all the Alliance tech and information at his fingertips.  He searched his family history as he told me earlier, but something had changed.  Instead of Guy and Robin dying at the hands of Isabella and the sheriff, they survived the attack because their childhood friend, Aylaina MacLeod, killed the sheriff.  Lucas knew right then that this Aylaina was me and that I had messed with the space-time continuum and therefore, changed history.  He must have found the same parchment that Much had written regarding the legend of Robin Hood.

"Then why don’t I remember you?”  I was skeptical, certainly.  “Why wouldn’t I have remembered being married when I arrived in Sherwood forest?”

“Something must have occurred upon your arrival.”  Lucas stated.  “You met Robin and Guy, right?”  I assented.  “What happened next?” 

“I told them my name and they thought I was their childhood friend.”

“That must be when it happened.

“What are you saying?  That from that moment I had completely wiped you from my memory?”

“You did, in a sense.”  Lucas was very distraught.  He really seemed as if this pained him.  “But you didn’t realise it because you immediately changed history by telling them that they knew you.”  Here, he took a deep breath.

"What did Guy do or say when you told them?”  Lucas inquired, with a catch in his voice.

“Guy looked at me closely and he said ‘It isyou.’  Then he touched my check.  I assumed that Guy and Aylaina must have been more than friends....”