Chapter 1: I am Hunter 57

It is a daunting thing, having the expectations of the world resting on your shoulders. Being the only hope against the disease that terrorizes its people. Being the antidote to the epidemic those deemed untreatable. They say violence is never the answer, but these animals don't pay any attention to the laws of the humans. Our enemies are soulless, merciless attackers. We are the only defense, the only wall strong enough to prevail against the battering ram. To every predator there is always something to balance it out, whether it be its own species or something completely opposite. Otherwise the food chain goes bananas and we have species going extinct left right and center.

I am a Hunter, one of the many protectors of my world, Amphilias. We are the predator that stalks the predators, the balance of the food chain, where nothing matters but survival.

It's not like we have a choice in the matter. If you are chosen to become a Hunter, you have to say yes. Not that they ask. So we all live in one huge mansion in the mountain range that borders Amphilias, where no-one will ever find us. Nestled in a huge grassy crevice, wedged between Amethyst Mountain and Valis Mountain, the only entrance is by sky or through three sets of metal gates, all heavily guarded. To get to the first gate, you first need to navigate through miles of rocky, loose pathways that criss-cross everywhere. If you don't have a nose for direction, you'll easily get lost.

Lately the Freedom Fighters have been raiding King Zelrox's settlements to the South, taking back more and more land surrounding Ranwick Forest, and the security has been ramped up big time. The Council installed a new system last week too. I hate it, but dare not say anything. No one goes against them.

"Hunter 57, report to the Crypt immediately." The loud speaker announced, and I jumped off my bed at the mention of my name. When the Crypt called, you came, like a starving dog begging for attention. Quite pathetic really, but those were the rules. I followed the lane from the my house, heading directly for the Crypt, the very centre of the Sanctuary where the Council resided. They run the place around here, where us Hunters live, in the Sanctuary.

They dictate all of the jobs around here. We don't exactly have a name. It's too obvious and could draw attention. We Hunters prefer to stay hidden and away from the public eye. Everyone has some notion we exist alongside the supernaturals, but that is about as far as the mortal's knowledge of us go.

The Sanctuary is a large place, with a medical centre, a garden full of herbs that can be used against super-naturals, a training academy, bunkers for the trainees, the Armoury, and an ever-expanding village of small thatched buildings that housed the Hunters. The gardens held a variety of poisonous plants, but none more powerful than the Oshax Kiss, an innocent-looking plant that looked like a tulip, but within its black and purple petals was a poison unlike any other: the power to reduce a super-natural's powers. Given a large enough dose, the supernatural would eventually become fully human. I loved that plant; the way it made the supernatural look so weak and defenseless, seeing their faces as they realise what has happened, before I take their life as what they were meant to be. In between the Bunkers and the Gardens, are the Dungeons.

I followed the lane from the my house, heading directly for the Crypt, the very centre of the Sanctuary. Suddenly my path was blocked by a solid figure. Without much time to react, I smacked into Hunter 9's chest. Quickly stepping back, I made a point to groan as loudly as I could.

"What do you want?" I asked curtly. Ever since I arrived, in the middle of the training, Hunter 9 has made it his job to make my life a living hell whenever possible. He is bigger, stronger and more skilled than I, and Darik's total favourite. He was the one who helped steal me from Mum. He was the reason I was here. The reason Mum is dead.

"Where are you off too? The Dungeons?" He sneered. If Hunter 9 hadn't been so completely obnoxious, he would have actually been attractive. He was tall, taller than me, and rather masculine, with honey blonde hair and blue eyes. Not that I noticed things like that; Hunters were trained from the beginning to never show emotion. To fall in love was a sin. Love was a weakness that could be used against you.