How to Avoid a Mary Sue

Long Lost Relative...? (fan fic)

Often in fanfiction, writes like to relate their characters to the already present characters, or "canon" characters. Sure, some canons may have pasts that can be manipulated, while some other canons have such an established past already that it will make your readers find it hard to believe that your character could be realted to that specific canon. A good example is in Harry Potter, if someone were to write a fan fiction that he had a sister he never knew about it wouldn't seen at all believable. We know what happened in his past, there was no way he could have a sister.

No One's Perfect

Some people think that just a flaw in a characters looks is considered a flaw. While that is true, really well developed, and non Mary Sues, have more. Think about every human being, we have bad habits, and we have pet peeves that set us off. Things such as impatience, obsessions, bad habits like biting nails, and so on are examples of flaws in people. These flaws can make your character seem more believable and real, and more people will be able to relate to your character.

The World Doesn't Revolve Around You

Your character can't always be the center of the universe. Not everything revolves around her or him. Often authors will switch point of views just so they can have the other character talk about how amazing the main character is. Try to have the other characters have moments where they aren't just talking about the main character.

Even if You're the Best Peach, Someone Will Still Hate Peaches

Look at every other character's view. Will all the other characters believe that your character is the best person in the world? Of course not, that's ridiculous! Try to have your other characters have different opinions about the main character. While one character may think the main character's smile is beautiful, another character may find it forced or crooked. This especially goes in fan fiction. Try to take the canon character's views into perspective. Craft believable reactions.

That's Life

One of the most common things in Mary Sues is how easily everything comes to them (fighting skills, strong relationships, special powers, romance etc.). More people will prefer a character that can loose more battles than win over the latter. It's more interesting to see what the outcome for her will be. Will she give up or will she try to become stronger for the next time? It makes it easier for a nicer flowing story as well.

The Problem Solver

Don't always make your character the one to solve the problem. No one can solve every problem. Try to make it a team effort or another character's idea to solve the crisis at hand.

Everyone Has Their Sob Story

It's fine for a character to have a sad background, since that's a common thing even in real life. It's when the sob story gets out of hand that it becomes less believable. Also, not every character will give your character sympathy for her background. Be subtle. 

To Love or Not?

An incredibly annoying thing about Mary Sues is that they win the love of every character in the story; often not even having to do anything but stand there and look pretty. Remember that romance can be a possibility in a story or fan fiction, but remember that in real life you won't fall in love with some one with just looking at them. It takes time for a romance to blossom, sometimes the characters may hate each other before even developing so much as a crush on each other. The added suspension of the "will they? won't they?" will keep your readers wanting more, to know what will happen next between them. 

Take Your Time

A problem with Mary Sue stories is they pass by way too quickly. Your character, if writing fan fiction, won't become friends with the canon characters right away, especially if one of her traits is being shy. Your character can't be a master at everything right away, either. Give her time to develop her abilities. Don't rush the story.

Splitting Image

Avoid making the character a mirror image of you. It's not always bad to make a character after yourself, but a little goes a long way. A good sense of character development is when you can make a character share little in common with you, so she has room to grow as a person. A famous Mary Sue is Stephanie Meyer and her character Bella Swan. Read Bella's description, then take a look at Stephanie Meyer. Something familiar? I bet.

Final Notes

Of course a Mary Sue will often be able to be spotted easier in a work of fan fiction, but they aren't limited to just that. Of course your character is going to be new to something like school since it's your main character. But if your main character hogs all the attention and glory, gets all the guys, and never does anything wrong, you may have yourself a Mary Sue. I hope this guide helps you in your character development and you create something fresh and interesting.