Chapter 2 - The Runaway

I went strait upstairs without making any eye contact with my father. I slammed my door and kicked off my slippers and tossed my pajamas in the hamper. I went through my dresser and closet to find myself wearing a sea foam green V-neck with my favorite denim shorts from Forever 21. I also threw on my white converse. I was just about to head out the door when my father knocked.
I rolled my eyes as far into there sockets as they could. "Baylor, can I come in?" my father begged. I rolled my eyes once more as I strained up my shirt, "Okay, yeah.. Come in." My father slowly entered my room as I sat on my bed displeased. "I'm so sorry, Baylor. I know how much this means to you, but trust me. We have money, we will be fine for 2 weeks," he said trying to cheer me up. I looked at him and my eyes started to water. "Dad, you don't understand! If you can't take care of me, I'll have to go back with nanny and you could go back to your old ways," I said wiping the tears off my cheeks. My father looked at me and brushed my hair with his hand, "I love your beautiful brunette hair, how about that will keep me strong? Just like your mothers hair." I looked up to see him smiling, I smiled back slightly and he kissed my head. I was still mad, just slightly less than before.
My father smiled at me and started to get up. "Again, I'm sorry," he said covering his face. I looked up at him but didn't speak a word as he glanced over and walked silently out of my sky blue walled room.
Once my father had left, I finished getting ready and carefully went downstairs to the garage. After waking tip-toe all the way downstairs and down a hallway and past the kitchen, I finally made it to the garage unnoticed.
   I opened up the creaky old wood door that was painted white, but now looked as if someone toasted it like a marshmallow from all the dirty hands touching the door. The door squeaked open and once I was in the garage, I shut the door quickly so my father wouldn't notice me in here. The garage was like any other garage with concrete floors and the unpainted walls from the builders, and of course the smell of gasoline and other tools. I found my bike lodged in a corner behind some rusted car parts that had never been used. I pulled out my silver and blue lined mountain bike and opened the garage door.
I sped off as fast as my short pale legs could take me. I closed the garage door with the little mobile button I took with me as I left the driveway. I past many houses on my way to Alex's house which was about 2 miles away considering we live in the country.
I got tired pretty quick even though I am in shape, but all of these hills and bumps in the road didn't help the fact that I haven't ridden my bike since the beginning of June. (and now it's the end of July!)
After what seemed like an hour I finally got to Alex's house and jumped off my bike and threw it to the ground to run to the front door. Alex's house was beautiful with pale brick and a dark red roof to match the dark red door with an oval of frosted glass in the center of the door. I knocked on the door 3 times and on the third knock, Alex burst open the door happily. "HAPPY 14, BAE!" she screamed. Yes, bae is my nickname given to me by Alex. I know it's not much of a popular word as it was when it came out, but no matter how many time I tell her to stop she'll laugh and do it again.
   "Hey, Al-" I started as Alex grabbed my arm and pulled me into the house slamming the door behind us. "Okay, sorry about that but we have a lot to do," Alex started. "Wait, wha-" she stopped me again. "No, Baylor," she said using my real name so I knew it was important,"Come." She motioned me to follow her with her chubby hand.
   Alex wasn't a big girl or had "chubbiness" to her, but her hands were smaller than they should be for her height, so they were a bit more...chubby! She didn't mind when I would make fun of her hands because that was really the only thing to make fun of. Alex was beautiful. She had long dark brown hair that came down to the end of her ribs. Her mother let her get some highlights in the back of her hair so when she puts her hair in a ponytail, you can see dirty blonde hair.
   We walked up the spiral stairs which made me feel like a princess every time I came over. Alex's house was like a county castle with designer furnisher and all the latest decorations. When we got to get room I shut the door softly and looked strait at Alex, "I've got a problem."