Prologue

Prologue

Ten years...

It was the only thought that ran through Darryl's head all day. And if he were being honest with himself, it was the only thought that ran through his head since he received his elaborately decorated invitation in the mail over three months ago. Even as he stared down at the maroon and white card in his lap, he still couldn't believe it was real.

June 25th—the anniversary of his high school graduation.

And now the night of Curtis High's Class reunion.

At first, he'd questioned his need to attend. High school had been nothing but bleak for him. After losing both his parents within two years of each other, he felt as if he couldn't enjoy his adolescence as much as his peers. All high school had been was gossiping kids with nothing better to do than poke their nose in other people's business. And after four long years of high school, he didn't leave with much friends.

But it was the hope of that he would see her again that drove him to RSVP for the event and sparked his excitement for tonight. It was why he'd decided to leave the life he created for himself back in Boston and move back to open his own law firm in Manhattan.

After nearly six years of being gone, he was sure of two things: One, he was still in love with Naomi Marks, and two, he was a complete fool for throwing their relationship down the drain.

For five years they were inseparable. Their blossoming relationship had survived their senior year of high school and had continued after graduation when they attended the same university out of the city. He had studied pre-law while she studied business. Of course, just like their high school romance, their love was imperfect and they had their fair share of disagreements. But in the end, there was no denying the undying love they had for each other. Over those five years they shared happy memories that were both unique and unforgettable. Yet he turned his back on it all.

When he had left New York for Harvard Law School he had convinced himself that those memories were enough for him to last a lifetime. He chose to move on without her. But after countless nights of dreaming of her sweet laugh, her delicious floral scent, and her supple and tender lips skimming across his bare skin as they made love, he now knew that there was no moving on. And it was a lesson he learned the hard way.

He glanced at the clock on the dashboard of his Bentley noting that he had half an hour left until he had to be at the school. He smiled to himself, thinking of the different possible reactions he'd get from her when she saw him tonight. It was quite likely that she would be surprised after he had vowed so many years ago that he would never come back to New York, and as soon as the moment of shock was over there was no doubt that she would be pissed. Though if he were being honest with himself, it was a reaction he was hoping for. Nothing was more of a turn-on than watching Naomi's lip pout in anger.

Knowing that he stalled long enough, he started his car. Just before he pulled away from the curb, he took one more longing look out the window toward the newly renovated house. The exterior was freshly painted in a fresh and glossy white, with a wide wooden porch made complete with a sturdy porch swing. The pebbled walkway and the big brass gate in front of the home gave it a regal tone. He didn't have to see the interior to know that it had been renovated, too, and that it's decor certainly matched everything there was to see on the outside.

It was hard to believe that this had been his childhood home. The home that he had spent some of the best and worst times of his childhood now belonged to the Armstrongs, as it was clearly written on the new mailbox planted in the healthy green lawn of the front yard. Even from where he sat in his car, he could hear the cries of a baby coming from upstairs and the soft, soothing voice of its mother and father as they lulled it back to sleep.

For a moment, he closed his eyes and remembered his mother's voice soothing him when he felt vulnerable, always letting him know he had a safe place to run to. His safe place was here, at this house, in his mother's arms. When she died, his safe place was buried along with her. He thought he had lost his safe place forever until he met Naomi.

And with that in mind he opened his eyes and drove off.