chapter five

It started off nicely, I swear.
I began with soft rubs on his arms. Then I began booping his nose and saying his name softly. I dragged off the 'U' in his name and ran my hand through his hair.
He wouldn't even breathe differently,' jeeze.
I sighed and flicked his ear.
"Ugh, wake up." I groaned. I lifted up his arm, then let it fall down to his side. He slightly stirred at that, but not much.
I leant down and decided I wouldn't let him breathe anymore. I closed his nose with my fingers, and four seconds later, his eyes widened and he sat up quickly.
I stifled a laugh and watched him adjust to the light.
"What the fuck is wrong with you?" He asked angrily. He looked genuinely annoyed, and I felt my feelings take a tumble.
In simple words, Luke hurt my feelings slightly.
I avoided eye contact and stood up from my crouched position. I made a small noise like I was going to say something, but bit it back and turned the other way.
I walked away and slowly made my way upstairs. My stomach felt a bunch of sick butterflies and I kind of wanted to cry.
I sighed when I got to my room and I closed and locked it. I'll probably never be real friends with Luke. We won't be in a secret relationship in the movies, where the step siblings fall for each other. Luke would never like me! He suited the 'I don't give any fucks' look, and I'm the type of girl that really 'gives a shit load too many fucks'.
I blew air out of my checks and sat on my bed looking at myself in the mirror.
I looked at my messy hair where it had curled around my face due it humidity. My freckles stood out more than usual and my eyes looked a little darker.
I tried to fix my hair, but it was a hopeless case. I changed out of my pajamas and into a huge grey distressed sweater. I pulled on black shorts that were loose enough to not squeeze my thighs and I pulled on high rise socks. I looked at my hair again and cringed.
After dragging a brush through it a few times, I decided it was hopeless and I pulled a headband on.
I quietly tiptoed downstairs. I hoped he magically wouldn't be down there.
"Cali, love?" I heard my mom.
I scratched the back of my neck and pursed my lips.
"Uh...yeah?" I called back, reaching the bottom of the stairs.
"Could you run a quick errand for me?" I followed her voice to the living room.
"What kind of errand?"
"Could you run down to the post office and get the mail? Here's the key-" she handed me the key," and here's the box number-" she handed me a small piece of paper with digits. "You can take Luke with you, he knows where it is."
I gulped and nodded my head.
Well fuck.
I turned and walked away, stuffing the keys and paper in my pocket. I cleared my throat and called up the stairs, "Luke?" I said it quiet enough only I could hear. I crept up the stairs and knocked on his door.
"Uh-Luke?" I asked again.
This time, he opened his door a few moments later with an annoyed look. "What?"
I locked eyes with him for a brief second, before I licked my bottom lip and looked at my feet.
"Could you...maybe go to the post office with me? Or just give me directions, you don't have to come with me-my mom just asked me to go for her but I don't know where anything is." I said all way too quickly.
When I looked back at him, he had a slight smirk on his face.
"Nervous, are we?" He chuckled, pulling me into his room and closing the door. "yeah, I'll go with you."
I stood with my hands loosely behind my back as I watched him walk around his room, getting socks, shoes, fixing his hair.
Man, why is he so good looking?
"Why are we going to the post office, again?" He asked, standing with his hands loosely on his hips in front of me.
I chewed on the inside of my lip and looked up at him. "Picking up something for my mom."
"Oh." He said, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "How long have you been growing your hair out for?"
I scrunched up my nose at his irrelevant question. "Uh...I don't know-three years or something." I waved my hand to dismiss the dumb, almost conversation. "Um, can we leave now?"
He bit his lip and nodded, opening the door for me.
I stepped out and he followed me down the stairs and to his car.
He rolled down the windows and we drove through his streets of twists and turns until we reached the small brick building with glass windows.
We went inside to my moms PO Box and I unlocked it, pulling out the envelopes that sat inside.
"Hey, wanna stop for ice cream?" Luke asked, both of us closing the car door.
"It's kinda early, isn't it?"
He shook his head. "There's always time for ice cream, babe."
I widened my eyes at his nick name and turned my head towards the window to prevent him from seeing my red cheeks.
We did indeed end up getting ice cream from the drive through farm store. They gave us two free soft served cones for being the first customers of the day, which me and Luke freaked out about.
The car ride back home was silent.
He opened the front door for me and I trotted in, my hands sticky from melting ice cream.
"Mumum!" I called, setting her envelopes on the kitchen counter and climbing onto the bar stool.
She looked at me and smiled slightly, she still looked tired. "Thanks, baby." She looked up at Luke standing behind me. "Thank you, Luke."
"No problem," he laughed, shoving a hand in his pocket. He pulled on a piece of my hair to get my attention and I turned around on my stool.
"Do you wanna go in the pool? I just cleaned it yesterday." He said, nodding his head at the window.
I looked over at my mom for a brief moment before shrugging.
"I mean-yeah, sure." I hopped off the bar stool and walked to the sink, washing my sticky fingers, before running upstairs to my room to change.
It took me ten minutes to decide what pair to wear, I wanted to look good.
Good for Luke, I guess.