A Twist In Their Stories

It had been three weeks.

Ashton had fallen back into his old pattern of not getting any sleep and having no... emotion. The nightmares were becoming frequent and the nail to skin contact was becoming too much for his raw arm. His flesh crawled with every breath he made, blood stained the sleeves of his sweater because he needed something, some type of relief from the madness behind his skin.

Three weeks.

Michael had fallen into a pattern of his own. Just like Ashton he was not getting any sleep at night. He would lay in bed, fiddling with his phone as he tried not to press play on Ashton's voicemail. The recording sat in his phone, playing over and over again in his head if not out loud. The small boy would curl up in bed and press his phone to his ear, trying with all his might not to completely mentally break down.

It was like a blanket of stubbornness that sent Michael reeling back every time he tried to dial Ashton's number or put his shoes on and just run to the woods to find the older boy. Michael was hard-headed and in some way both boys knew that, he was stubborn yet insecure and at times that was a deadly combination. He didn't want to admit that he needed Ashton; that he needed his warmth and light kisses when he's afraid to close his eyes at night, he needed his small adoring smiles when Michael giggled under the sheets when the moon had fully risen and all the lights in the house were off, he needed that confirmation that no matter how many times Michael denies it Ashton thinks he's absolutely beautiful.

But sometimes Michael didn't know that Ashton needed him too. Ashton needs Michael probably more than Michael needs Ashton. Because before falling upon Michael, Ashton would never smile, he never found pure joy in simply looking at someone smile, he never felt lightness in his chest when someone said his name. No, but with Michael, everything changed. It was like he was taken back in time, before everything tragic and unbearable happened. Back to a time when everything was so simple and carefree. Back to a time where Ashton actually knew what happiness was.

But then he feels weight.

Then comes the guilt.

And it feels like he's pushing Michael away from a future the red haired boy could have without Ashton. Maybe with someone smart and kind who could take care of him. Maybe someone with a properly functioning heart and a stable head.

That's what Michael needs.

Stability.

But then Ashton thinks about the way his name rolls off of Michael's tongue, especially when he can't sleep and he turns on his side and simply traces Ashton's features with the tips of his fingers, whispering the older boys name until his eyes fluttered open. And Ashton can't deny that he absolutely loves the soft smile that comes to Michaels lips when Ashton wakes up. And all of those small moments make Ashton think that maybe the pain is worth, that maybe all of the waiting and the suffering will lead to a bright future.

Then of course,

as if it were planned by the universe,

the bad weights out the good,

and Ashtons left with an emotionless expression somewhere alone in the woods. And he can't get back to his original, happy state without Michael and everything seems impossible.

It had been three weeks.

Ashton walked alone. An empty body that runs on cold blood and a heart that barely beats anymore. He's given up all together on going to school, but it's not like anyone will notice his absence.

Three weeks.

Michael avoids leaving his room and he's lost the purpose of getting out of bed. He's added a new lock to his door, a dead bolt to which he only has one key that he keeps on a chain around his neck.

Both boys have practically given up on themselves.

That is,

until fate throws a twist in their stories.

"Are you Ashton Irwin?" Ashton turns around and faces two men,arms crossed over their built chests, noses held up high as their eyes cast down at him. The tan boy nods slowly, his eyes fixated on the small medals pinned to the men's uniforms.

"Yes sir" he says quietly. Then he's being turned around, cold metal being clasped around his wrists.

"Ashton Irwin you are under arrest for the possible murder of April Irwin and Jefferson Irwin"