All Set?

Evan

Breathe in.

Breath out.

In.

Out.

It's fine. It's perfectly fine, I tell myself. Everything is alright. I'm just marrying Dodie today, nothing weird or scary about that.

I stand up from my bed and look in the mirror. The guy in the mirror doesn't look fine at all. More like he's about to pee his pants.

I check my outfit again. I'm wearing a grey suit with a black tie, the same suit I wore when I graduated from university here. It's a little bit tight, but it's not a real marriage anyway, so what the hell.

I adjust my glasses, and I once again try to fix that little annoying strand of hair that always falls across my forehead, but it's no use.

I look at my watch. It's four thirty, time to go. As I think this, I hear Dodie calling.

''Evan, time to go!''

I grab my passport and birth certificate from my nightstand and walk to the living room.

I open the door. ''Hey, you ready t-'' My voice cuts off immediately as I see her, and I stop dead in my tracks. Damn, she's beautiful. She's wearing a white smock dress, and a big white flower crown, contrasting with her dark hair. The silver ring on her finger glimmers in the sunlight. She looks over her shoulder and smiles at me. She looks like an angel.

No, I tell myself. 

Nein.

Net.

Nee.

Não.

Non.

Dim.

Ingen.

No.

Stop it. Stop those thoughts right now.  She's your friend, and if you want this thing to work out, these kind of thoughts have to stop here.

''All set?'' She asks me.

I take deep breath, make an attempt to pull my mind out of the gutter, and convert what must've been a creepy and impolite stare, into a friendly smile.

''Yeah.''

***

We get out of the cab, and whilst it drives away, we take a moment to look at the building.

A ginormous, metallic, slightly molten easter egg.

London City Hall.

I can't believe, in about an hour, we'll walk out of here married.

I'm beginning to understand that guy in the mirror a little bit.

I look down at Dodie, and although she's been really cool and chill about this thing the entire time, I can see she's scared, too.

I make a split-second decision.

I hold out my hand, for her to hold.

And then, without even looking at it, without even hesitating, she just puts her hand in mine. Like it's the most normal thing in the world.

MarriageForVisaLandजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें