Chapter 9

The weather was perfect outside, and everyone in our neighborhood was enjoying the beautiful day. Everyone except me. Don't get me wrong, I would die to spend a day with Mute, it's just that I feel like I'm disappointing everyone by breaking the rules and leaving the house without permission.

Yea, I could just ask Ruth if I could spend the day in town, but that would get Mute in trouble. He's not supposed to be skipping school but he is. He's breaking the rules for someone as pathetic as me, and the least I can do is break my own rules in return.

I waited in the hallway outside of his room for about ten minutes, my mind racing with all of the ways this plan can backfire. I got up early this morning and took a shower, put on makeup, and picked out the perfect outfit, which was a bit hard considering I don't know what exactly this is. Is it a date, or are we just hanging out?

My stomach started to knot again, but stopped immediately when Mute came into the hallway. He had the same amazing smile he had last night, only this time he smelled of fresh lavender with a hint of musk from all of the cologne he was wearing.

He lifted up his notepad and clicked his pen, writing on a new piece of paper.

Ready to go?

"Yup, are you?"

Yea, but can we stop at a coffee shop first? I need caffeine.

"Yea, no problem."

Mute placed the notepad under his arm and tucked the pen into the pocket of his jacket. He smiled at me and grabbed my hand, leading me down the hall.

When we got outside Mute took out his keys and unlocked his car: and old, dirty vehicle with paint chipped away at the sides. It's not glamorous by any means, but it's something.

I slid into the passenger seat and buckled the seatbelt, watching as Mute started the engine to the car. It's so quiet between the two of us, it's almost unsettling.

He put the car into reverse but before he backed out of the driveway he pointed at the radio, raising his eyebrows as if asking permission to turn it on.

"Sure"

Mute pressed the dial and turned to a station, one which had very loud and violent sounds. He drummed his fingers against the steering wheel with each beat of the drum, and bobbed his head to the lyrics. As awkward as I felt, it was better than sitting in silence.

When we got to a small café about five minutes from our house, Mute put the car in park and turned off the radio while he stepped out of the car and slammed the door behind him.

I struggled to detached the seatbelt which was holding me captive in my seat. By the time it finally clicked and pulled back away from me, Mute was holding my door open, putting out a hand to help me out of the car. I smiled and graciously accepted his offer.

He's so polite

We got inside and I picked a table by the window, one which we could watch the people outside. Mute came back with two coffees and sat across from me. How he ordered those coffees without talking is beyond me, but somehow he managed.

I want to be polite, accept the fact that he's not comfortable with talking, but it's hard. It's more aggravating to me than it is to him, just because I feel like he doesn't trust me.

"You know, this would be a lot easier if you talked," I said, moving the stirrer around in my coffee. That probably came off as eager, but I don't care. I want him to talk.

Mute took out his notepad again and began writing, turning the paper towards me on the table so I could read.

I mean... I can talk. I just don't usually like to

"But you can trust me. I've only been here for a few days, who would I have to tell? I don't know anyone."

So, if I say something you wouldn't tell anyone? And I mean like nobody, not even Riley or Ruth or any of your friends back home?

Little did Mute know I no longer have any friends from back home. After my parents died and I said goodbye, they just acted like I never existed. Like moving to a new town means we weren't friends at any point in our lives.

"No, I promise I won't tell anyone. Especially the people in our house. You can trust me."

Mute bit his lip and looked outside at the people waiting by the bus stop. I know that I'm pushing him a bit, but I just want him to know that he can trust me.

Fine.

My eyes lit up as I read the four letters scribbled across the paper. Mute's never spoken to anyone in the house, and now he's going to trust me of all people, a person he's only met two days ago and basically knows nothing about.

What do you want me to say?

"Anything. Whatever you're comfortable with."

He took a sip of his coffee and closed his eyes for a minute, preparing himself for what he was about to do.

"Hey Haley. You look really nice today," he says, staring me dead in the eye.

My mouth hung open after he spoke, not only because he hasn't spoken to anyone in years, but also because of the sound of his voice. It was deep, but smooth enough to be captivating.

"Wow," is all I say. I take another sip of my coffee in an attempt to make the space between us less awkward.

"You know, you have very pretty eyes," he says, leaning his elbow on the side of table and resting his chin in the palm of his hand.

"Thank you. So do you," I say, awestruck in the fact that he's still talking.

"Okay, you ready to go into the town?"

"Yea," I say, taking a final sip of my coffee.

When we got back into the car and started to drive, Mute turned the radio back on, only this time he was singing along. His hands were now banging on the steering wheel as he drove, and he belted out every note of every loud and obnoxious song on the radio.

I laughed as he smiled and sang at the top of his lungs. Mute's much more fun when he talks, almost like a new person.