Then other times he treats me as if I'm a little sister, a good friend, but not a woman worthy of being Chosen, as Wick seems to have Chosen Eveia. Kaz speaks of Briar being in love with me as if it's no big deal to him. He asked about Milo so coolly, even wondering if Milo would want me even though I'd joined the Kuzabn.

I feel like these topics should inspire the same feelings I've encountered recently. Like my heart imploded. Making me wish unnecessarily bad things on decent people. I don't know much about love, and I know nothing of the Choosing process of the Obichny, but I believe my sudden desire for Caither to drown may be related. Especially considering I only wished this after noticing her arms around Kaz's chest.

What is wrong with me?

                                                                                                 *

We all have floor meetings first thing after breakfast Thursday morning. Hejae writes the schedule of events for the following day, our first Performance Review, on the board:

8:30-10: Weapons Mastery

10:15: Swim/Race

12:00: Lunch

1:30: Tap Out Begins

He passes out individual schedules before explaining any of the items listed. When I receive mine, I see it is more detailed:

8:30: G2, Slot 5

10:15: Slot 82

~2:15: G1 (Sub 4), Slot 4, Position 11, Persy Bangor

"Okay, ladies and gents." Hejae circles back to the board and points to the first item. "Breakfast is served until 8. Make sure you're in U-Gym by 8:15 to receive your weapons and find your slot. Your papers have your position for each event listed."

He moves around to the front of his desk and hops up to sit on it. "You'll get five knives and ten arrows, and you'll have to prove your worth with them. Then you'll all undergo a simulation in which you will put the skills to use in a real-life setting. Questions about the first task?"

No one raises a hand.

"Next, you'll be shuttled down to the lake," Hejae says. "You'll find your slot again, and at the flare you'll race your fellow recruits across the pool, up the trail, and into the Welcome Cave. Once you've recorded your name and position, you may go to lunch. Any questions?"

Again, no one raises a hand. Although the tasks themselves seem daunting, the execution is pretty straightforward.

After lunch, our final task is a grappling session in Sub-Gym. I'm in the fourth group, number eleven to fight. And I will be fighting Persy. Rune's roommate. The stocky boy who speaks in grunts, whom my memory has warped into a giant ogre. I'm so sure I will die tomorrow that I can feel a lump forming in my throat. Maybe Iskren will get his wish after all.

"The fight goes until one of you falls unconscious, someone taps out, or a floor leader calls for a cease in fighting," Hejae clarifies.

Apparently someone else is concerned with fatality as much as I am. I'm relieved to know I can stop the fight with a tap of my hand, or by blacking out, whichever comes first, I guess.

Then Hejae passes out a booklet just under an inch thick. "These are all the jobs available to ranked Kuzabn. Before your Review, you will submit your top two floor choices, based on what you hope your future career with the Kuzabn will be. Depending on your rankings and the trainers' input, you will be placed on one of your chosen floors." His eyes lock on mine for a moment, and they're full of acceptance, as if telling me I've earned his respect and I deserve to stay on his floor. I'm pleased to have won him over, but then I think of how much I enjoy my weapons sessions. How it's seemed like Briar's been on my side since the beginning.