Chapter 5

Ziron forced himself to calm down as soon as he entered The Bar. He stood out like a rose in a dandelion field. He could see everyone’s Dark tattoos. He pulled his hood down, but left it so that it covered the back of his neck; he couldn’t risk them seeing his Light tattoo. Everyone threw him dirty looks as he headed toward the bar. He mostly ignored them, but took notice of the look that a big, bald man threw at him. He looked especially shifty to Ziron.

Ziron sat down at an empty stool at the bar. The girl behind the counter walked over to him. “Can I get you anything?”

 Ziron only glanced ay her before saying. “Vodka. On the rocks.”

She didn’t move though. “Are you of age?”

Ziron really looked at her now. He smirked. “Does it matter?”

She smiled at him, “No.” She moved away to get him his drink. While she was busy, Ziron looked around to try to find Sade or Nate. He then notices the group of girls at the other side of the bar. He wasn’t sure if the looks that they threw him were meant to be flirty, or if they wanted to eat him. 

The bartender came back with his drink. He simply said “thank you”. She didn’t leave immediately like last time. “You don’t come in here very often, do you?”

“No.” Ziron was determined to keep things short.

“Why not?” She tilted her head to the side, sincerely interested in his answer. 

“I’ve never needed a drink before.” 

She smiled. Then she leaned forward and touched a strand of his hair.  Ziron had to fight to keep himself from recoiling. “You seem familiar,” she told him. “I know I’ve seen this hair before.”

Ziron really took in her appearance. She had gray eyes and dark brown hair that she wore in a ponytail. She was petite and pale-skinned. She was wearing a pink camisole and gray jeans. “I’ve never seen you before,” Ziron told her.

“Hmm…” She let go of Ziron’s hair and leaned back. 

Ziron thought he figured out a reason for him seeming familiar to her. “You probably know my sister.”

“Ahh… Sade.” Ziron nodded. ”Yes, that would be why you seem familiar. How is Sade?”

“I don’t know. I’m looking for her. Or Nate.”

It was unexpected. The girl lunged at Ziron over the counter and grabbed his throat. She started dragging him toward the door. Everyone in the bar was staring.

“Aw. Why are you going to kill him, Em?”

“It would be such a waste.”

“Yeah, Emmy. He’s kinda cute.”

Ziron could hear the amused protests of the girls he had seen earlier. Ziron wasn’t worried; he could get her off of him without having to lift a finger. He just let himself be dragged out.

As soon as the door closed behind them, it opened again. Out came the big, shifty-looking guy. “Go back inside,” Emmy growled at him. He looked confused, but did as he was told. As soon as he was inside, to Ziron’s surprise, the girl let him go. “Sorry about that,” she said as she smoothed her hair. “That guy usually helps me kill whoever I drag out here. I’m Emerald.”

“That’s nice to know. I’m Ziron, but I’m guessing you know that.” Ziron said as he rubbed his neck. “Tell me why you dragged me out here, again.”

“You can’t just waltz in here and ask about Nate. His daddy protects his precious little boy. And you shouldn’t be here in the first place. You should really get out of here.”

“I need to find Sade.”

“And you think you can do that by finding Nate?”

Ziron shrugged. “He’s my only lead.”

“Well, no one knows where Nate is, so we can‘t help you. You should get out of here. Everyone will wonder what’s taking so long. If you find Nate, you’ll tell me, won’t you?” Emerald pulled out a card from her back pocket.

“Sure,” Ziron said, “If you tell me if you hear anything about Sade.”

“Yeah, of course.” She handed Ziron her phone and he put his number in. 

“Why are you looking for Nate?” Ziron asked her as he handed her phone back.

“He’s my best friend.” She said sheepishly.

“Oh. Well, thanks. See you around, I guess.” Ziron told her.

“Just not here,” she said with a nod. She went back inside.

It wasn’t raining, but it was still cold. Ziron put his hood back on. He looked down at the card that Emerald gave him.

Ziron thought there was sort of Dark elegance to it.