Chapter 3 - Water Flowing Underground

***BARRY***

"So...you guys really work for Batman?" I ask the Robins as we ride the express elevator down from the roof. Even though this machine is nowhere near as fast as I am, I still find my ears popping with the rapid descent, especially when we reach a point where the floor-counter screen on the wall passes "1" and moves on to "B1," "B2," etc.

The tallest and darkest Robin refuses to answer - instead, he changes the subject. "No mask, Supergirl?" he asks. "Is it, like, against Kryptonian custom or something?"

Kara doesn't seem too surprised that the Robins are among the few who can name her species. "My cousin and I, we dress dowdy in our civilian lives," she laughs. "Also, it helps that my boss can't connect with me unless she's insulting my fashion sense."

The door opens, and the Robins lead us out. The blue-eyed one rounds on me and says, "As for you, at least you cover most of your face and head with your mask...but you don't hide your square jaw very well, do you?"

"Good thing we don't know your face that well," jokes the youngest.

"Are you saying you know my face not so well?" I ask, tilting my head at him.

Constantine snickers at the sight. "If they don't know it well, they should be sorry. Your face is a cute one, mate, I gotta say."

I blush brightly, probably matching the maroon color of my supersuit. "Still prefer women," I say. "But hey, I'm flattered all the same." I turn to Kara and tell her, "Keep on your toes - he might flirt with you too."

"Oh?" Kara grins at Constantine. "I'd love to see you try."

"Don't tempt me," Constantine laughs.

Kara floats into the air for a moment until he stops laughing, then she lands her boots on the ground again and keeps on walking with the rest of us. "So where are we going?" Her tone's a little more businesslike now, but still light. "Doesn't this city have one of the most elaborate tunnel systems in the world? It's gonna be a hell of a thing to not get lost."

Dark Robin nods. "Mmm. Especially 'cause we're going into the sewers."

Kara and I both shudder at the same time. "Ugh," I groan. "Cisco's gonna kill me."

"Your friend Cisco? Really?" Kara asks. "Why?"

"He made this suit," I say. "Any part of it gets exposed to toxic waste like-"

"Hey, that's our city's toxic waste you're talking about!" cries Blue Eyes.

Kara leans forward, sniffing loudly and grimacing. She must have a really sharp nose, because I smell nothing...yet. "Don't be so proud of it, kid," she laughs.

"I'd like to see you hold up your city's sewer stink to ours," laughs Blue Eyes. "You can't, though. East Coast sewer stinks are the stuff of legend. All you have out west is treated with chemicals and you can't even smell the sewage anymore."

"What?" I ask. "Where are you getting this from?"

"Excuse our eldest brother," says Young Robin. "He doesn't know when his own jokes fall flat."

"You'd know a lot about jokes falling flat, wouldn't you, Mr. Humorless?" asks Blue Eyes. He's really the oldest one? I kept assuming Dark Robin was the oldest, but only because he's the tallest.

"I see what he means," I say. "'Mr. Humorless' is a terrible nickname. My friend Cisco would laugh you out the door for that lack of skill."

"What, is he some kind of champion nicknamer?" asks Blue Eyes.