Chapter Twenty Three: Black and Mellow

Start from the beginning

                I wondered how I was going to tell everyone that Malory was dead. How would her parents react? What would the people back home think about everything that happened? How would Charisse react? Malory was one of her best friends from Chicago and I couldn’t help but blame myself for her death. If I had never went to New York then she would still be alive.

                Gage continued to lead me past the body in silence. Every step I took away from her body made me seem as if I were responsible and that I was turning my back on her.

                We were now almost downstairs. There was a large ambulance in front of the building. The other cops had roped off the entire area with yellow tape that said “Do Not Cross”. It was scary seeing so much going on once I stepped foot outside. A police car was driving off and I assumed it had Jamanj in the back. Finally the crazy person that killed several people, including my friend, was being punished.

                Jamanj’s last words echoed in my mind. He said good-bye, for now which meant that he was planning on coming after me again. How could that happen? The cops had taken him away and he was going to be locked up for a long time. Was he planning on breaking out of jail? Was he planning on someone to help him?

                I pushed away the thought of Jamanj Reklats being capable of breaking out of a high security prison. He was going to be put away and I didn’t want to worry about him.

                I walked closer to the ambulance and two paramedics came toward me and rushed me into the back with Gage trailing behind me.

                “Are you okay?” The woman paramedic asked me as she forced me to sit down on the stretcher.

                She was about the twelfth person to ask me that today. “Yes I am fine.”

                The two paramedics made me lay down on the stretcher so they could examine all of my injuries. Judging by the looks the paramedics were giving each other, I guessed that I looked worse than I had thought. I could feel that there was bruising on my face and remnants of dried up blood on my head but the two paramedics were looking at me as if I were a zombie.

                As I looked over to the window, I realized that it was dark outside. I didn’t know how long I was tied up in that empty apartment but it felt like a couple of minutes. How long had Jamanj held me captive? Minutes, hours, days? And where was everyone else? Bibiane, Avian and my father had to be around somewhere. I had to tell them what happened to me and what happened to Malory.

                “Who did this to you?” The other paramedic asked.

                “It was Jamanj and his sister.” Gage responded for me.

                “We got in a fight.” I said dryly.

                “Did she hit you with something?” The woman inquired as she examined my head wound.