Entry Thirteen

Entry Thirteen

06-08-2012

I woke up this morning, but to an empty bed. My heart twisted in its abode just the slightest as it missed the assurance of Shay. I can’t let my feelings get the better of me, after-all, I was never the clingy type; the yearning type. I pushed my feelings aside and got out of bed. The day was abnormally dark; the room was cloaked in a grey that one would often find at the coming of night.

So, I padded through the cold floor and towards the window. An icy wind whipped my hair back and the wet smell of the sea hit my nostrils immediately. The Brazilian bay was veiled from the sun by heavy, angry looking clouds and every once in a while the clouds would give a grumbling growl, resembling a hungry predator that gave a fore warning. I should’ve known it was a sign, because doesn’t it happen in movies and books all the time?

I didn’t think anything of it in the morning; I stretched my healing limbs and walked to the kitchen. A little glimmer of happiness ignited in my belly has I heard the familiar shuffling of Shay’s feet. A goofy grin made its way to my lips as I half skipped to the alluring sound.

I found Shay sitting on the little couch, his feet nervously fidgeting and making the shuffling noise. His features deep set in a thoughtful expression as the reels in his head spun to an unknown plan. I could tell he was analyzing, calculating and weighing his thoughts because of the faraway look he had- as if he was living his thought-living every situation.

I went and quietly sat next to him, our knees just barely brushing each other’s and our arms touching. The coldness of my skin snapped him out of his thought parade, he turned to me and his grey orbs seemed to grow lighter right in front of me, making the dark strokes more prominent. This oddly made my insides flutter and then he smiled at me like I was a mythical creature that he had dreamt of saying; he made me feel like I was special, and this made me feel like I’m secure.

I returned his smile with my own and bumped my knee to his playfully.

“What are you fantasizing about, Shay?” I asked playfully. The light look in his eyes disappeared and he become dead serious again.

“The Plan,” he said, watching my reaction like a hawk, studying every twitch of my muscle and every flutter of my eyelashes. My breathing hitched as he mentioned it. I wanted to leave but a plan sounded so dangerous, so out of reach. I chuckled nervously and started getting up.

“Want tea?” I asked as I prepared to run from ‘The Plan’, he grabbed hold of my wrist and pulled me back to my original place. He then placed his both hands on my shoulders and turned fully towards me.

“I am serious, Aalia, and I need you to listen to it,” he said, in that emotionless voice that he had mastered as my kidnapper. I audibly gulped because of all the fear coursing through my veins; a fear that Arlo instilled very nicely, I couldn’t bear to think what the price would be if we got caught with this. I nodded my head none the less, ready to listen to whatever bizarre idea he had and then dismissing it.

“Firstly, we have to stop hanging out so much otherwise Arlo might get suspicious,” he slowly said. My lungs constricted painfully at the thought of not seeing him as often, but I nodded anyway, encouraging him to continue.

“Then I’m going to leave Brazil for a week and start making anonymous calls to the M13 and FBI.  Explaining to them that I would help them capture Arlo, if they go according to my plan. My plan involves them investing some money and sending a man from their side. He will be the new customer at the auction and he will bid for you and Grace.”