07

"The goal is to get your opponent down on the mat

"The goal is to get your opponent down on the mat. Brownie points will not be awarded for anything else. Pair up, get started," Reznik barked, her hands resting stiffly on her hips.

The 9 of us dismantled from our stances and a few started pairing up: Nugget with Teacup and Poundcake with Dumbo.

"Sir," Ringer said dully, "We have an odd number of soldiers." Ringer's eyes darted over to where I was standing, and I felt my hands curl into a tight fist (not for the first time that morning), frustration boiling inside me.

"Quite aware," Reznik said impatiently, "The last soldier will be practicing on the dummies."

Ringer rose her hand slowly, "I call the dummies," she said, "Maybe they'll be more of a challenge," she added, muttering under breath.

Ringer walked over to the corner where the dummies were, leaving Flintstone, Zombie, Oompa, and I to ourselves.

I opened my mouth to claim Oompa but Ben, sorry, Zombie, opened his first, "Canary," he said, avoiding my eyes, "I'll work with you."

I bit my lip, my head swirling, "Ok," I said, walking over to the first mat.

Needless to say, in all the times I had daydreamed about running into Ben Parish after the Others arrival, never did I imagine fighting hand to hand combat with him. This was certainly something new.

I sucked in a sharp breath as I positioned myself in what I thought was an appropriate fighting stance

I was annoyed that, apart from the brief introduction last night, Squad 53 and the rest of Wright Patterson had left me to fend for myself.

Never had I ever fought someone (aside from online, of course), so there was no way in hell I knew what to do now.

"Put your hands up like this," Zombie said, raising his balled fists up to his face, "Fold your thumbs over your fingers, not under," he continued, eyeing my hands.

I pursed my lips as I clenched my fists and moved my thumbs over the other fingers.

"Position your feet like mine," he said.