U N I N V I T E D

Start from the beginning

I don't know where she's hidden it, usually she hides it in one of the creaks in the walls.

It's been two days and I haven't even seen it. I'll admit, I'm getting more and more flustered by the fact that she may have thrown it somewhere. I desperately need to read it.

Not because of anything nefarious. But because I haven't so much as held a book and ages. And the asylum is the furthest thing from a place that could offer something to quench my bibliophilic urges.

"Me? Read it?" I give out a forced laugh. My voice is incredibly high for a normal person. "Are you crazy? Why would I want to do such a thing?"

"To know what I was going through when you weren't here." She states.

My jaw falls open. "W-What? How did you—"

It is impossible for her to know the exact thing I had been saying in my head. Impossible. I eye her, skeptically.

"Is there some mind-reading power you haven't told me about?" I demand.

She shrugs, her face innocent. "Maybe."

"How did you know?

She smiles and I almost faint. It's cocky. "You talk in your sleep."

My jaw falls open again. I know that I talk in my sleep, I am well aware of that. That's also one of the reasons why I avoided sleepovers during school. But speaking my thoughts during my sleeptalk—that's new, even to me.

"And you listened?" I demand.

She shrugs. "I had nothing better to do."

"You could have ignored me."

She winces. "You were loud."

"Forget that." I say, trying to steer the conversation away from my weird sleep-talking. "So, what did you do that with the journal."

"You're not reading it." She snaps.

"Why not?" I almost whine.

"No."

"That doesn't answer my question." I point out. "Why?"

She doesn't answer instead she turns to look towards the glass window. I roll my eyes. Juliette has this weird fantasy that the outer world is better than the world in here—it's not. The Reestablishment is changing everything. They had promised us protection, a new start blah blah. But instead they took away all of our history, our books, our religions, our religious festivals and everything that made us who we are and threw them in a trashcan.

"Fine." I snap, crossing my arms over my chest. "Be like that. Ignore me. Give me the silent treatment. Go ahead. You won't hear me complain."

I huff and march towards my so-called bed. Throwing myself on the it, I kick off my worn blue sneakers. They fall down onto the floor. Pulling a scratchy blanket over my eyes, I let out a deep sigh. The blanket smells like dust and before I can choke on it, I pull my nose and mouth out and take a huge gulp of air.

"The room service here sucks." I mutter to myself before turning over to sleep.

****