Chapter 3: Boys Night In

Author's note: Samuel is the boy in the picture (:

——————————————————————

Through the scary clean window, I watched dust fling from the tires with bits of rock as my dad left. Turning my head, I looked to see Kenton watching as well as I fixed the worn out strap of my bag on my shoulder.

Once my father was out of sight, the taller male acknowledged my presence and gave me a smile. "Lets go see where Sam is, yeah?" He suggested with an arched eyebrow. I gave him a nod before he took off towards the stairs. Marble stairs caused my shoes to scuff at the first step, a wince working its way up my back. "Don't worry about it," I heard in front of me.
Before he took me to see the unknown child I'd be taking care of, he paused in front of the second white door on the right and opened the to reveal a decorated room. Colors ranging from white to a dark beige littered the room. I was no expert in decorating but took appreciation in how the colors all seemed to go together.

"This is one of the guest rooms. This will be your room if you take up the job," a voice sounded, tearing me from my thoughts. I looked up to Kenton before they went back to the bed. More pillows covered the bed than there were in my whole house.

"Jeez, how loaded are you?" I muttered under my breath, the heavy bag sliding off my shoulder to the ground by the door. The room was way too fancy for a guest room. My family had a pretty decent house, but this was ridiculous. To my left, a bathroom connected just before the closet. On the right, a bed with the headrest pressed against the wall was placed just past the little hallway the closet formed. Opposite of the bed, a flat screen tv lay all ready to be used. Farthest from me, a balcony with glass doors opened up to the outdoors.

"I make enough to get along just fine," the male chuckled when he saw how my mouth hung open slightly at the view in front of me. I apologized once he answered, realizing it was rude when I'd only meant it rhetorically. I just couldn't get that all this would be mine now out of my head.

Mr. Finley seemed to think I had enough time to process all of it since he cleared his throat and retreated back to the hallway. Just across the room I'd be occupying, he knocked on the door before opening it to expose a rather messy room of a little boy. He sighed once he saw the mess and shook his head. "I tell the kid to clean his room, and he does, so don't get me wrong. He's great about listening, but then he dirties it right back up once he plays again. I don't understand how he does it," he muttered and ran a hand over his hair.

Walking in after him, I saw a little boy with the same brunette hair paired with brown eyes instead of blue like his father's. The child made noises of crashes and explosions as two transformers crashed together in his hands. "You won't win this time, bumble bee!" He shouted in the deepest voice he could muster up despite seeing that we'd entered. Only after his father called his name did he put them down in his lap.

"Sam, this is Avery. You know how we're looking for someone to watch you? He's gonna stay the weekend and see how things go," he explained.

Sam's eyes cast towards me for a moment, wondering over me to my hair for a moment. He stayed quiet other than that and nodded. For a kid with his lifestyle, I had expected him to suddenly shout crazy questions but I guess not.

As I waved over at him, Kenton began to talk again, "We're going to get pizza, so I'll call you down when it gets here." Sam nodded once again, his fingers sliding over the toys in his hands. It was obvious that he was itching to go back to playing.

With that, the older male left the room and I decided to follow him out. He headed down to the kitchen and grabbed a phone hooked up above the sink. "Is there any certain pizza you want? Sam and I like ham and pepperoni. I know- it's bland, but he's happy with it and, if he's happy, I'm happy," he sighed. After I told him that I was okay with that type, he smiled and called it in.

While he spoke into the phone, I took the moment to look around. Everything there screamed, "We cost a lot! Our owner is filthy rich and would still be rich if you robbed him!" Of course I wasn't dumb enough to even think of doing that.

-----------------------------------

Once the pizza arrived, Sam came down the steps to join us as we all sat at the counter. I was taking the third bite of my pizza just as Kenton was finishing his piece, Sam trailing just behind me a bit. The male burped into his hand before loosening his tie he still had on. "Excuse me," he chuckled while Sam grinned with a little sauce on his cheek. I couldn't help but laugh at the little scene in front of me. They didn't seem so bad and I was slowly starting to warm up to the idea of this job.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" Sam suddenly asked. At the question, I choked a little on the pizza I'd just taken a bite of and looked over at him.

"Sam, that's not polite," his father hissed.
I shook my head after downing a third of my water to clear my throat. "No, I don't. I've never actually had one," I admitted while I scratched my neck. Sure I had a girlfriend in fifth grade, but could you count a girlfriend who would giggle if you sat by her in class and all you did was poke each other awkwardly to get each other's attention?

The boy's eyebrows furrowed at the information I'd given him before his lips parted again. "Why? I've got a girlfriend. Her name is Penelope, but I call her Pen. You should get a girlfriend," he pressed.
I laughed while Kenton tapped him on the shoulder to tell him he was going too far. "I just focused on school too much and prefer hanging out with guys. Girls are too much drama, remember that," I teased. In all reality, I'd never had a real girlfriend since I was gay. If he'd of asked me if I'd been in relationships or had boyfriends, that'd be a different story. In front of my completely new and heterosexual boss with his child was not a way I wanted to express my sexuality though.

------------------------------------

Once we were done with eating, we all migrated to the living room somehow to watching Toy Story. Sam leaned against his father's side and they both looked rather cute. I drifted my eyes back to the screen and watched until the ending.

Looking back as the credits rolled on, I saw the little boy snuggled up completely to Kenton with his eyes closed and mouth agape as he slept. Kenton looked down to see it too and chuckled. "Little guy can't make it through a whole movie. He did have a pretty busy day, though. Had the time to go swimming before a meeting," he explained before carefully standing up with the boy in his arms. He merely stirred at the movement but stayed asleep nonetheless, his little fingers curling into the fabric of his father's shirt.

Kenton looked back once he made it to the hallway and spoke quietly, "You can go to sleep while I take him to bed. Tomorrow, we'll go more into depth about everything."

I nodded with a brief smile before following him up the stairs. Once we slowed at the doors, I looked back and whispered, "Thank you for this opportunity. Goodnight."

He waved a hand at me before responding, "It's no problem."

I closed the door to the room I could now call mine and shuffled over to the bed, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand. After staying up through a movie I wasn't fully interested in, I had grown too tired to do much. Shedding myself of my clothes, I headed over to the bed and threw the discarded articles over in the direction of my bag. With just my boxers, I sunk into the bed, sighing contently at the cool materials engulfing me. The bed was just too comfortable to keep my eyes open. And with that, I was officially knocked out.

——————————————————————

Author's note: to get the next chapter, gotta get five votes! Which is easy so c'mon d: