Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven        

          Do you know what happens when you stick two people, who just got married, on a beautiful island?

            A staring contest.

            Yep, you read that last part right. Nick and I were in Hawaii, one of the most beautiful places in the world, and we were having a staring contest. I was winning too, but it had been over a minute, and my eyes were starting to sting really bad. Nick knew it too, I could tell by the way his eyes were starting to water, he was feeling the same way. I just had to hold on a little longer…

            Nick finally blinked and I jumped up. “YES! Take that Brady!” I yelled into his somewhat surprised looking face, doing a victory dance.

            Nick just laughed. “What is that?” He said, referring to my dance.   “It’s my victory dance, Nick, I know you’re jealous.” I told him, wiggling my hips.

            “You’re doing it wrong, Tessa, it goes more like this.” He stood up and guided me through several dance moves (that were just as spazzy as my own, I might add). Somehow, we ended doing a complicated spin that ended with me in his arms, panting, and our faces inches away from each other. I felt like I was on Dirty Dancing or something, when did our victory dance turn into this?             “Do you want to know what it’s like to kiss your new husband?” Nick asked me and I swallowed hard, staring into his eyes. I thought about the kiss that we had shared yesterday, and felt my cheeks heat up. Heck yes, I wanted more, but this seemed wrong. I didn’t even like him, did I? This mysterious, handsome man with player tendencies and a closet full of skeletons...

            “Nick I-" I started, but Nick silenced me when his thumb traced my bottom lip. 

            “Shh, Tessa, don’t ruin the moment.”

              I should have probably been angry with him at the rude comment, but I wasn’t really thinking straight. All I could concentrate on, was his full, delectable lips getting closer to mine. To heck with what’s right. I thought to myself. Nick was going to kiss me, and I was going to let him…

            And then his phone rang.

            That snapped us both out of our daze. Nick jumped a little and set, practically dropped, me on the ground to grab his phone. He checked the caller id and looked down at me with an apologetic smile.

            “I’m sorry Tess, but I have to take this.”

            “Do whatever you want Nick, it’s not like I’m on the ground or anything.” I said with faux-sweetness, rolling my eyes at him.

            “Hello?” Nick answered the phone. “Good afternoon, Mr. Harrison.” I tuned out the rest of his conversation with annoyance.

    I put my head in my hands, propping my elbows up on my legs, letting my hair fall in a curtain around my face. I can’t believe that I almost let him kiss me... on the lips...For real! Why did I have to go and ruin everything? The whole slightly hateful relationship that we had before was gone forever. I might actually like him now. Which sucked, because he probably didn’t feel the same way. Sure he wanted to kiss me and all, but that was just part of who he was. Nick Brady was a player, he would willingly make out with any girl, just because he could. Ugh, why were guys always so confusing?

            Right about then was when Nick finished his conversation with Mr. Harrison. “Bad news Tessa,” He told me, sitting down on the floor next to me. I lifted my head up to look at him.