Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I stared at the two men with complete and utter shock. Nick was still kneeling before me and Justin stood a few feet away, looking very amused.

"You've gotta be joking," I blinked, looking down at Nick. "There's no way in hell I'd marry you."

"I could say the same about you, but desperate times call for desperate measures sweetheart," Nick snapped and stood up, looking slightly pissed off.

Justin cleared his throat, gaining my attention."See, that's where you're wrong Tessie. I think that you will in fact marry Nick. I think you'll do anything I tell you to, with a smile on your face."

I scoffed. "Oh really?"

"Really. How else are you going to find a job and support your poor, old mother? The marked these days..." He gave a low whistle. "It's rough. Especially for a woman your age."

"My age? Justin, I'm 25, not a freaking dinosaur! You're older than me!" I protested.

"I'm just telling you like it is Tessie, don't blow up on me." Justin said.

"I'll show you blowing up, Justin, you lying, manipulative-" I yelled, advancing towards my cousin with every word before Nick grabbed my shoulders and stopped me. His piercing blue gaze was mesmerizing.

"Easy there Tessa, it's not as bad as you think. You won't actually be marrying me, of course, we're going to fake the whole thing. You just have to pretend to be my wife, that's all." He reassured me.

"That's all?" I scoffed, escaping his grip. "That's all?! Do you have any idea that what you're asking me to do is crazy? I can't just pretend to be your wife!"

"Tessa," Justin warned. "You can and you will. Because if you refuse, I'll send you packing back to Oregon faster than you can say your own name. I'll also have a word with each and every one of my associates and make sure to let them know what an extremely unreliable and terrible employee you are. I have a lot of friends, Tessa, all around the world. Are you willing to remain unemployed for the rest of your life, just because you wouldn't do me a favor? That's not a very smart career move..."

I clenched my fists at my side. There was a reason why I didn't want to come here! I KNEW it would end badly. With Justin, it always does. "Are you threatening me Justin?" I asked him, positively furious.

"I prefer the term 'persuading' Tessie, but call it what you will." He replied smugly.

"Don't call me Tessie," I hissed, but Justin ignored me, once again. I glared at him and he glared back, neither of us saying a thing.

"So what do you say Tessa? Will you become my fake wife?" Nick interrupted our stare down.

I tore my angry gaze away from my cousin and focused on Nick. He looked hopeful, and maybe just the tiniest bit amused. I wondered why this job was so important to him, why he would take on a fake wife just to keep it. He really was a mysterious man...

Justin wasn't really giving me much choice in the matter. I could refuse to help him, of course, but then I'd lose my apartment, my car, everything, and I wouldn't be able to continue helping my mother.

I sighed and my shoulders slumped with defeat. "I guess," I told Nick, glaring at Justin with as much hate as I could muster. "Since you leave me no other choice...I have to accept."

Nick's face visibly brightened. "Thank you Tessa," He said, slipping the ring onto my finger, and squeezing my hand tightly. "I owe you one."

Our eyes met, his dazzling blue against my plain brown, and he took my breath away with his beauty, once again. I shook my head slightly, to clear it, and returned my arms to their folded position against my chest.