Chapter 42

"How is this possible? Did you do this?" Felix asked.

 "I would have done this a long time ago if I knew how to," I replied.

 "Well, it couldn't have been Mor'du. He would have taken her right away."

 "Then explain how did I saw him at camp."

 "Maybe it was Merida's spirit way of telling you that something happened."

Tiny fingers curl around my pinky. I watch the newborn peer through brand new eyes at what must be such a strange world after life in the dark. Her legs kick in a tiny jagged motion, looking for that resistance they are used to I guess, but finding nothing but air. I wonder if that was unsettling or a relief. When she stretches her hands barely rise above her head and I think of how strange we would all look if we kept those body proportions as we grew. I knew I can pick her up if I wanted to, she was my friend, but I was scared to break her. She was such a doll. Then she began to fret and cry, but it was so cute I almost cried.

"What are we going to do with her, Pan? Hubert and Arista left Neverland years ago, so we can't ask them. Raising her in camp could be worst. Remember that one game where four boys had missing fingers? Put this baby on an island with dream shade, pirates, and lost boys, and she would be dead faster you could say 'peek-a-boo.'"

 "Well, we can't give her to be raised by just anyone. What if she turns out... different. Like girly or something worst."

 "I don't think that would happen."

 "Really? What do you think would happen when we give her to Wendy to raise? Imagine that outcome."

 "At least, she won't be dead."

 "Then imagine what would happen when Wendy found out that she is raising the girl who got her trapped on Neverland—"

 "You don't think that she would do anything to a baby? We're talking about a girl whose last name is 'Darling.'"

 "But think about the risks. Wendy is overall a bad choice to raise Merida."

 "How is Merida going to be raised here if she can't grow? Time stands stills here."

I sighed. I failed as being a parent the first round. I had no hope in hell that Merida would turn out alright if she was raised by me. She would be dropped on the head one to many times by me.

"We'll have to figure it all out; but for now, we have to get the baby somewhere safe. We have to sneak her into the camp without anyone knowing."

 "Use your magic," Felix suggested.

"It's dangerous using magic around a newborn. We could transport to my treehouse and she could have antlers on her head."

 "Alright, I'll go back to camp and tell the boys that we killed the beast. Then I will let them go to bed early."

 "There's a sleeping potion in my tree house. Put it in the food that everyone would eat. It would make them sleeping. It will wear off in the morning. The lost boys would be dead asleep all through the night. They won't sense anything. Then meet me back here."

Felix nodded. Before he climbed over the piles of trees, he turned around and said, "Don't drop the baby."

I chuckled, "I'll try."

And with that, he was gone. 

I held the newborn to my shoulder. Tiny toes peek from her blanket, dangling in the autumn breeze. Her head, a crazy mass of red curls not yet rubbed bald from lying in her crib, wobbled beneath my supporting hand. I could not believe how tiny babies were, how vulnerable, how awe inspiring.