Chapter 10

Aro and I spent every night like that for a month. He'd tell me stories from his past lives, the different changes the guard had within the last two thousand years. Jane even sat in every so often, which I found to be quite remarkable in and of itself. In my opinion, and I think Aro may agree with me, I believed that Aro's stories brought me and Jane together. Well, somewhat. I still caught her so often trying to use her power against me. I was contemplating on just letting my shield down for her and allow her to electrocute me, when Caius's wife interrupted my thoughts.

" Bella, honey. Aro asked me to get you. You're team is needed in the antechamber." I looked up at the fragile looking vampire from my book. I hardly was able to see the wives, for the most part the two of them didn't associate with the guards. They always kept to themselves. It was foolish of me to even think to ask if she knew what this was about. 'Felix and Corin, meet me in the antechamber.'

I grabbed my cloak from the closet and quickly made my way to the grand room. Gianna waited at the door for the three of us before opening the door. That really annoyed me. I can open my open damn door, thank you.

We walked in and I saw the brothers seated on their throne, but there was one other figure in the room. Even though I couldn't see the face, I could recognize Demetri's body anywhere. Within the last month, the relationship between me and Demetri had cooled off. There was a period in the beginning that I wondered if there could be something more between us, but I never let it get farther than that. Surprisingly, Demetri understood and backed off. Though, we did flirt from time to time.

Felix on the other hand, was becoming a problem. My team has done several dozen missions for Aro since I came to be in the guard, and at some point, Felix had developed a little crush on me. Whenever he thought I wasn't looking, he'd look at me with puppy dog eyes. Let's put it this way, if Demetri was Mike, then Felix was Tyler. Jane and Corin sometimes even joked about it with me, and I knew if it was possible for me to blush, I'd be as red as their eyes.

"Ahh, Bella. I'm glad you could join us." Aro said pleasingly. I gave a slight bow of my head to Aro, Caius, and Marcus. Knowing their history gave me a sense of honor just knowing them so intimately. Much more than anyone could claim outside of the guard. I took my place beside Demetri, and my team instinctively flanked the both of us.

"I was discussing a matter that ultimately concerns you and part of your team." I was confused by the last part of his statement.

"Part?"

"Well, I think for this mission, Corin would be better suited for a task that I've put Jane on. Jane and her team will need Corin's abilities for that particular undertaking. Corin?"

"Bring me back a souvenir." Corin joked with me as she started out of the room.

"You want a blonde, or a redhead?" I chuckled. She knew good and well that I would never condone her habit of human food. But we always joked anyway. I made it very clear, as long as I didn't say anything about their diet, they weren't allowed to comment on mine.

"Surprise me." And she was gone. Caius rolled his eyes at the camaraderie, but Aro secretly told me once that Caius was just as amused by it as he was.

"You will leave immediately, Alec is standing by in the garage to take you to the runway. I want you to pay a visit to Denali. I've asked Demetri to go with you Bella because if by some chance Laurent's not there, he'll be better suited to track him."

'Aro, I thought Demetri's gift only works when he's already heard the tenor of someone's mind?' I knew it was silly to question Aro's logic, I was just hoping to avoid taking a trip with only Felix and Demetri as my companions. Talk about awkward.