Prologue

Edited on 5/20/16. 

    I wake to the sound of ringing in the distance. My whole room is dark, with the exception of outside lampposts casting a small glimpse of light through my windows. My entire house fells eerily silent, besides the faint ringing noise which is filling the room.

     "What time is it?" I ask aloud while forcing the covers off of my body and shifting my feet onto the cold, hardwood floor. I push open my bedroom door, causing a loud screeching noise to ache at the hinges and echo through the air as I trudge down the hallway.

     It fells almost like I'm in one of those horror movies - the ones where someone wakes up from a strange sound and then realizes that there's actually a murderer in their spare bedroom. Yeah, well, at the moment I'm just too tired to really care about my fantasized yet strangely convincing death.

     Once I reach my home telephone where the ringing is blaring from, I squint down at the caller ID and notice that the incoming call is from an unknown number. It's also currently two in the morning and still dark outside.

     "Who the hell calls this early in the morning?" I sigh while looking down at the blinking light thats blinding me with the annoying flashes.

     I press the small green accept button on the keypad and put the phone to my ear. The cold plastic brings chills to my body when it came in contact with my skin, only to make me shiver as the dark shadows of the empty house are becoming more frightening by the second.

     "Hello?" I mumble, my voice still groggy from being rudely awoken.

     "Hello, Is this Haley Smith?" asks a monotonous voice from the other end of the line.

     "Yeah, who's this?" I ask, getting a burst of energy from hearing my name.

     "This is Officer Hanlin from Paxton police department. We've been notified that you're parents have been in a car accident and are currently being treated in the hospital."

     My ears begin to ring as my body goes into a panic mode. I've never been taken so off guard in my entire life - besides when my family chose to move here to Delaware when I was at the young age of eight years old.

     Adrenaline ran through me, causing my arms and legs to turn numb and tense. I take a minute to catch my breath and focus my eyes on the open land in my backyard. a small group of bunnies hop across the open field while carrying blades of grass in their small mouths. At least I can have the peace of know that their family is safe, as for mine, I'm not so sure.

     "Haley, are you still there?" the officer questions.

     "Yea, sorry. I'm still here. My parents are going to live though, right?"

     "I can't promise you anything. All I can tell you is that they are in Braxton hospital and are currently being treated in the intensive care unit. I advise you to go there if you want more details on their wellbeing."

     "Yeah I'll.... I'll go down there now. Thank you officer," I quietly mumble before ending the call.

     I allow the phone to fall to the ground, causing it to land with a forceful thud. I then stand completely still, my gaze still locked on my backyard and the swaying of the trees with the rhythm of the wind. My muscles won't allow me to move, and the only sound I can now hear is my breathing. I glance down at my hands, only to see them shaking uncontrollably as I begin to fold my arms across my chest and clutch my shoulders for comfort. Tears roll down my cheeks, until I finally let out violent cries.

     "Why is this happening to me of all people?" I ask aloud as my shaking body sends goosebumps over the surface of my skin. "What happens if I loose my parents? Does that make me some type of orphan?" I shake off the thought, only because it's the last possibility I want to consider at the moment.

    I try taking multiple deep breaths, inhaling sharply and exhaling shakily, telling myself that it's going to be okay. My parents will be fine, they always are. I can't think of a time when they weren't. All I need to do is go down to the hospital and make sure they're okay.

     My vision comes in and out in terms of focusing. One minute I can see clearly, and the next it turns into what would be like a carnival ride - where everyone is falling all over the place from the fast spinning contraption. Except, I don't have the option of opting out of this ride because, well, this is my life.

     I place a hand on my chest and allow my body to rise and fall with the last deep breath I take before starting to make my way downstairs, taking careful steps on each wooden platform to avoid tumbling forward. When I get to the living room I reach into the closet, grasp onto my jacket, and tug it off of the hanger vigorously before pulling it out and placing it on my body. I attempt to steady my hands and properly fasten the small buttons before giving up and allowing my jacket to hang open. It's not like the first thing people are going to notice from a pale and almost lifeless teenage is the fact that my jacket is hanging open.

     I grab my keys and place them in the pocket of my jacket while I pull open the back door, locking it behind myself. My body trudges down the moonlit driveway in the frigid, chilled, February air until I reach my car. I wrap my fingers around the handle and pull hard with my numb fingers, until it opens with a click of the lock. My numb body slides into the drivers seat, putting the key in the ignition and starting the engine. I grip the cold, leather steering wheel firmly until my knuckles run white, and I take a few slow and relaxed deep breathes before I begin driving to Braxton hospital where my parents are. To be honest, I'm probably not the best fit to drive right now.

     "Im going to be fine," I tell myself, trying to find any comfort possible.

     "Everything's going to be perfectly fine."