Chapter 1: Changes

Start from the beginning

     "What?" I said in disinterest, cutting on the AC and switching gears. I slowly backed out my parking spot and into ATL traffic.

     "Where you at?" August asked me. I rolled my eyes. I think this nigga really be calling just to hear my voice cause I could've sworn we just had a conversation about this less than ten minutes ago.

     "On my way to work, August." I said like I was speaking to a child. "What do you want?"

     "Watch your mouth, Justice. Where's Aubri?"

     "In her car seat sleep!" I semi-shouted. "The fuck you want? I'm driving."

     "Didn't I just say watch your mouth?" I rolled my eyes. "I'm coming to get her." He hung up and I sucked my teeth.

     "It's too early for this shit." I slowed down at a yellow light and unlocked my phone to put on my music. I sang along to Formation and turned it up a bit to get into a better mood. I had faces to beat and I wasn't about to let Aug's laziness effect my money.

     "Cause I slay, I slay, I slay.." I danced in my seat a bit and continued on driving.

     When I reached my job, I pulled into my usual parking spot and unplugged my phone and slid it in my pocket. I got out the car and went to unbuckle Aubri. She was awake and smiling. I smiled back and kissed my baby's beautiful cheeks. She was so precious to me. She had her dad's smile and his eyes, but she had my nose and both of our natural curly and thick hair. Her complexion was a perfect mixture of honey and cinnamon and her loving personality shined through her attitude. Aubrielle was a dime in a dozen and I loved every ounce of her. I took her out of her car seat and inside the shop. They all shouted instantly seeing my lil princess. They started bickering of who got to hold her. My baby was spoiled like the princess she is everywhere she goes.

     "Awww, Justice, can I hold her?" Heather, one of the stylists asked. I laughed and just passed her to her and shrugged. The others groaned in protest.

     "Y'all all doing hair so hush," I told the other girls. "Watch her for a second. I'll be right back."

     I went back to the car and got the rest of my bags and Aubri's car seat and locked my doors. I went back inside and headed over to my station where my first client was already waiting for me.

     "Hey, beautiful. I'm sorry I'm late." I kissed her cheek and put my stuff down to set up. "You haven't been waiting long have you?"

     "No, I just got here." She smiled and I smiled back. I went through my make up and realized some of my brushes needed to be cleaned. I told Deja to give me a minute as I grabbed my cleaning solutions and brushes and headed to the back. I was only in there for about ten minutes before my name was being called.

     "Justice!"

     "What?" I wiped down the last brush and cleaned up the mess.

     "Tell August to give me the baby back!" Heather whined. I laughed and picked up my brushes. I walked out the back and laughed even more seeing Heather mean mugging August as he tickled Aubrielle. Her laughter rang out throughout the entire shop. Seeing them together warmed my heart. Despite his attitude this morning, I love seeing Aug making our daughter smile.