Chapter 6: Connection

I woke up at 6 in the morning and did my usual house chores. Afterwards, I started preparing myself for school and as I was doing so, I kept thinking about last night. That memory always made me smile—not to mention extremely red. I felt like I was floating on air. Things were finally starting to turn around for me. Who cares if the town's people were harsh to me? Now I have someone. One person was enough; he was all I needed. Fate couldn't mess this up. 

As I opened the door to get out of the house, I saw Hero standing outside of my home's picket fence. He was waiting there, with his hands in his pockets.

"Hey!" he greeted with that ever melting smile of his, "Ready for school?"

I walked up to him, smiled and nodded.

Three weeks passed and things went on the same. Hero would always be waiting for me outside my house so that we'd go to school together in the morning. We've gotten much closer to each other ever since that night. One day though, another odd but miraculous thing happened. During our stroll, I've noticed that some people weren't watching us so intensely anymore. They also weren't talking that much about us. What freaked me out was that some of them were even smiling at us.

"Okay, what's going on?" I asked.

"Well, I guess they did get over it," he teasingly replied.

"Hero!" I cried out in frustration.

"Well, I think that they've realized you're not dangerous at all," he said seriously this time.

"Where did they get that conclusion?" 

"Well, I'm still in one piece right?" he answered, "Nothing bad happened to me while being with you."

Now I get what he was talking about. Is this for real? People were changing their minds about me? When they saw that Hero wasn't harmed after being with me all this time, did they begin to think that maybe I wasn't so bad like they thought I was? Could it really be true? I was proven right when we got to the school grounds. One student who was in a rush accidentally bumped into me, causing me to lose my balance. Luckily, Hero was there to stop my fall.

"Oh I'm so sorry Saya," The student apologized, "I was in a hurry and didn't watch were I was going."

"It's...okay..." I replied, mouth open in sheer astonishment. 

"See ya guys!" The student bid farewell and went on his way.

Both Hero and I were speechless with what took place. That person wasn't actually scared that he had bumped into me. I'd imagine one to be freaking out just to get that close to me but he didn't. That student was calm just like Hero was the first time we met.

"I'm not sure of what's happening here," I said as I shook my head in disbelief.

"This is getting good," Hero said with a crazy grin, "Come on Saya, we got to get to class."

During class, I began to imagine things like the town's people actually accepting me in the long run but I stopped the thought immediately. I was getting way ahead of myself. I didn't want to be hoping for nothing just like when I hoped to find something at Aden 's crash site. I was staring out the window when suddenly, I heard the teacher call out my name.

"Saya," she said, "Please define the radius of a circle."

I was surprised for a few seconds and then I answered, "The radius of a circle........is the distance from the center of the circle to a point on the circle."

"That's correct," she said, smiling.

Did I see what I think I saw? All the teachers, including her, were always cold to me! But now, she was being nice. That same class, some of my classmates who never even talked to me before started asking me questions as well, like answers to the teacher's question and other stuff.