Birthdays: A Captain Swan Fanfiction

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, she felt Killian's hand on her own. "Happy Birthday," he whispered, just as Emma opened her eyes. 

She gasped, and before she knew what she was doing her arms were around Killian's neck and she was hugging the breath right out of him. Because for the split second that she glimpsed what he'd planned for her, she'd automatically categorised it as the second most breathtaking thing she'd ever seen... She was currently strangling the first. 

Killian had somehow found a gorgeous little spot atop a grassy cliff overlooking the sea, the full moon shimmering off of its glassy surface. A quilt had been spread out in a particularly lush grassy patch, and a basket of assorted goodies and food was sitting in the corner along with a brown paper package, wrapped and tied up with a gold bow. 

"Alright, darling, I think that's quite enough," Killian chuckled, giving her a little squeeze, nevertheless, before letting her go. "So, I, er, take it you like the set up?" 

Emma answered with a vigorous nodding of her head, causing her golden curls to bounce around zealously as she squealed and gave him another quick, but enthusiastic, hug. "God, I LOVE it! I didn't even know this place existed, and I've lived her my whole life!" 

"Well, you're forgetting, love, that I've got a few years on you," Killian smirked. He never passed up a chance to remind Emma that he was a little over two years older than she, and almost a head taller, as well. 

Emma rolled her eyes and pulled him over to the quilt, plopping down and reaching for the delicious looking foods arranged tastefully in the picnic basket. But Killian gently held her back, holding out the brown parcel. "Haven't you forgotten something?" he raised an eyebrow. "It is your birthday, isn't it?" 

Emma grinned slyly and snatched up the parcel, gingerly untying the gold ribbon before tearing through the brown paper to reveal a smooth wooden box. She looked at Killian curiously before opening it and peering inside. 

"It's a compass," she breathed, lifting the shimmering, golden artifact out of its box and examining it closely.  

"D-do you like it?" Killian asked, admittedly feeling a tad nervous at her reaction. 

"Like it?" Emma gaped at him. "Killian, I love it- it's gorgeous. Where the hell did you find it?" 

He sighed in relief, grinning contentedly. "I didn't actually. It was recovered by the captain of the ship I'm working on, when the crew stopped to loot a giant's castle about a month ago. Strange place- apparently it rested atop a bloody beanstalk..." 

"A beanstalk?" 

"Magic beans, love- but, anyway, the captain'd gotten away with so many other treasures that he let me keep this one. I saw it and- I dunno, it just reminded me of you, for some reason." 

"I love it, Killian, it's absolutely beautiful- looks almost... magical, even." Emma gave Killian a broad smile and gingerly placed the golden compass back into its silk lined wooden box, marvelling at its beauty until the lid snapped shut. "So," she gave Killian a sly grin, eyeing the picnic basket filled with delicious looking goodies, "Shall we?" 

He smiled back and chuckled in reply, reaching for a tin of salt-water taffies.  

Several candy boxes and a good few fruit baskets later, Emma tossed her last apple core onto the grass. She sighed happily and sat down next to ,Killian, dangling her bare feet over the edge of the cliff and the crystal clear water. 

"This has got to be the best birthday I've ever had, and it's barely even one in the morning," she grinned at Killian as he draped his arm over her shoulder casually.  

Emma shivered as a sudden breeze blew back her golden curls, and made to move closer to him- forgetting, unfortunately, that there was nothing below her for her feet to land on. 

"Emma-" Killian gave her a confused look as she flailed around for a fraction of a second, before her legs gave way and she plummeted ten or so feet down into the frigid sea water. 

Killian yelled for her and jumped in himself, painfully aware of her unfamiliarity with the water. He, however, having spent so much of his time working aboard a ship, was a strong swimmer and shot up to the surface quite quickly before surveying the rippling water in search of Emma's blonde head of curls. It didn't take long for him to spot her flailing figure, about ten feet away from him. 

With expert skills Killian swam desperately over to her, possibly more relieved than she was when he wrapped his arms around her shivering figure. 

"You alright, darling?" he asked, trying to keep calm as his voice cracked embarrassingly. "Gave me a bloody scare, you did. Please, don't go jumping off any more cliffs tonight, right?" 

Emma smiled to herself. "'Course not." No matter how good it felt to be in Killian's arms, they couldn't very well sit there in freezing cold sea water much longer. She reluctantly unwound herself from his grasp, paddling messily to the thin, rocky, shore. She heard Killian chuckle to himself as he glided up behind her, doing a perfect stroke and barely causing a ripple in the salty water.  

"What?" she demanded, glaring at him. 

"Here, try it like this, love," he suggested, showing her a scooping motion with both his arms and, in turn, helping her copy him by wrapping his arms around her once more. 

Emma smiled as she completed several near-perfect strokes, with Killian's much appreciated help, of course. She sighed, relishing in his gentle touch. 

As far as early morning birthday celebrations went, she had to admit that this one hadn't been bad- not bad at all. In fact, she might even go as far as to name it the best birthday she had ever had. But, then again, there was always next year. 

______________________ 

There's chapter one- how do you guys like it? This will a a multi chapter fanfic, so stay tuned for chapter two. The book'll be a short collection of Emma's birthday experiences from age sixteen, had the curse not occurred. 

I know Killian is, in reality, supposedly a whole lot older than Emma, but it's a fan FICTION so deal with it ;)  

Haha anyways... Fan/Vote/don't forget to COMMENT!!!! 

Swan on! 

~ginger xxx