Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

            “I know great deal more, kitten.” He said his voice laced with satisfaction at having drawn her back into his control.

            “W-what do you know of my father?” her chest rose and fell with trepidation as a numbness filled her limbs, she felt her throat closing tightly as a terrifying notion set heavily in her mind. “Did you kill my father?”

            His thin lips peeled away into that sinister grin, his eyes favoring a savage gleam. “I take my profession very seriously and any distraction that may get in the way must be removed effectively.”

            The tears came painfully in a flood of emotions as Ginelle struggled to absorb his words and the horrifying realization that her sweet, doting father had been murdered by this heinous man. “Why?” she demanded, her fists curling in her lap as she glared at him through tearful eyes. “He harmed no one!” she resisted the urge to leap across the space separating them, for fear of her child, she remained seated, her limbs trembling with suppressed fury. “He was a sweet man and you killed him, you bastard!” she hissed uncontrollably.

            He startled her by jumping forward and seizing her around the neck. She gasped, her eyes widening with fear as his fingers tightened warningly. “Cease yer tongue, girl. Ye will learn to submit and know yer place for I can snap yer little neck like a twig.” He shoved her away and she gasped for air, her fingers along her reddened throat.

            “Why?” she rasped, a single tear slipping along her face, “Why did you kill him?”

            “As I said-“ he started, “-I take my profession very seriously. I was informed well enough to know what was asked of me. Kill yer father and bring ye to the baron.”

            Ginelle frowned, “I-I don’t understand? Who is the baron?”

            Pierino smirked, “My employer.”

            Her frown deepened, “You were paid by this man to kill my father and take me to him? Why?” she demanded.

            Black eyes glistened knowingly. “What do ye know of yer mother, girl?”

            Ginelle stiffened, taken aback by the sudden alarm of fear that coursed through her body. “My m-mother?” her stomach churned with dread, her mind turning to the locket close to her heart. “Did you kill her as well?” she spoke the question so softly, fearful of his reply.

            “Hah!” he laughed coldly, “I am afraid I cannot take credit for that one.”

            Ginelle frowned, “Than why do you ask? What do you know of my mother?”

            “Yer mother was a baroness, kitten, did she not tell ye?”

            Ginelle blanched, “You speak falsely.” She shook her head, her thoughts spinning uncontrollably.