Hurting Lake - Chapter 5

We pulled into the parking lot, and I looked around, searching for Justin. Fortunately, he was nowhere around. I just don’t think I could face him after my  dream last night. I leaned back into the seat and sighed, closing my eyes. When I finally opened them, I let out a little cry of surprise.

“Hey. What’d you make that noise for?” David asked, leaning away from me.

“Oh, I don’t know, maybe it just had something to do with the fact that when I opened my eyes, your face was barely an inch away from my face.”

“Oh… Well, I was just trying to see if you were even still breathing.” he said, trying to make a sad face.

“You make me think of Timmy when you do that…” I said, trying not to cry.

Timmy used to always make the sad puppy dog look whenever he wanted me to do something. It would always break my heart because he looked so cute doing it. He knew it too. He also knew that I would do anything to make him stop making the face, so he used it to his advantage.

“I’m sorry Lake. I didn’t even think about it…”

David looked so worn and sad that I couldn’t stand to see him like  that. I reached over and hugged him.

“What?! I knew there was something going on!”

I whirled around to see Justin standing outside David’s truck, looking murderous.

“I thought I straightened you out the other day.” David said.

Justin looked at David then looked at me.

“Whatever. Come on Lake. We better get to class.”

“But we still have like 20 minutes.”

“I don’t care. I said come on. Besides I wanna talk to you about something.”

I look at David, then reluctantly got out of the truck. I told David goodbye and walked with Justin towards the school.

“So… what did you need to talk to me about?” I said.

“Hold on. I want to talk somewhere private.”

So he led me through the school, all the way to the old boys’ locker room that nobody uses anymore.

“Lake. I thought I told you to stay away from him. I told you that you couldn’t hang out with him anymore.”

“Justin, he was just giving me a ride to school.”

“Then what was what I saw? Huh? Tell me that.”

“I was just hugging him. He was sad. So I hugged him. What is it illegal to give your friends hugs now?”

Justin looked at me, and I was afraid. The look in his eyes was not normal.

“Listen to me now. And listen good. You do what I say. When I say. Got it?”

“You’re crazy. I don’t have to listen to you. You can’t just tell me who I can and cannot be around…”

His hand came towards my face before I even knew what had happened. I fell back against the lockers, hitting my head along the way. Justin grabbed me by my hair and pulled me up. I let out a little groan of pain, and he smiled.

“Now do you get what I’m saying? Are you going to be a good little girl and do what I say?”

I slowly nodded my head yes, and he let go. I fell back to the ground.

“I’m going to class now. I’ll see you there. But stop by the bathroom on your way. You look like a mess.” He said on his way out.

I stayed on the floor crying for a minute before I felt something hot running down the back of my head. I reached up and then saw blood on my hand. I got up and headed to the girls bathrooms. When I got in there, I looked around making sure no one was there. I went up to the mirrors and cleaned myself up, and tried to stop the flow of blood coming from my head. As I was pressing paper towels to the cut, my friend Laura came in. She took one look at my head and shook her head.

“I’m not going to ask what happened. But you’re too far off. You want some help?” she said.

I slowly nodded my head and she came to help me. After I was all cleaned up, she helped me redo my make-up, and we headed to class. She sat in her seat, and I headed to my seat next to Justin, surprised to see David next to my seat.

“Hey where you been? Hey you ok?” David said, looking at me.

“Oh, I just stopped by the bathroom. And yeah, I’m fine.” I said, giving him my best smile, while Justin nodded his head.

I sat down and tried to focus on today’s lesson. I had a horrible headache and my cheek hurt, but while David was around, he wouldn’t find out what had happened. Ever. Not if I could help it…