Hurting Lake - Chapter 4

Hey guys! Sorry it took so long to put a new chapter up! My computer was messed up and just got it working! here's a new chapter! I'll update more as soon as I can!

Four:

    “What’d I tell you about having people over boy?”  David’s father yelled.

    We were sitting on the couch working on our Biology homework.  Mrs. Lee was at work, and Mr. Lee was in the garage when we came in.  I could tell that Mr. Lee had been drinking.  That wasn’t a surprise.  Everyone knew that he was the town drunk.

    “I told you last night that we were coming here to work on homework today.”  David told his dad through clenched teeth.

    “Well I don’t recall you sayin’ anything ‘bout it, so you must not have.”

    David shook his head and kept working.

    “Well, well, Lake.  You’ve grown up to be… quite good-looking I must say.”  Mr. Lee said, coming closer.

    I looked at David.  His eyes were on his dad, watching him, waiting to see what he’d do.

    “Why don’t you come on over here and show me just how grown up you’ve become.  No?  Well then, I guess I’ll just have to come to you.”

    Mr. Lee started coming towards me, reaching out.  I was scared and didn’t know what to do.  I wanted to look at David, but I didn’t want to take my eyes off of his dad either.  Then, David was standing between me and his dad.

    “Don’t you dare touch her, old man.”  David growled.

    “Oh, what’s this?  You love our little Lake here don’t you boy?”

    David’s face darkened, while I was taken by surprise.  David… love me?  I don’t think so.

    “Shut up, back up, and sober up!”  David said to him.

    “What’s you say to me boy? Don’t talk to your Father like that.  Show some respect.”

    “As far as I’m concerned, you’re no father to me. You’re just an old drunk who lives with my mom and me.”

    David’s dad lunged towards him, and David moved, but Mr. Lee caught his arm.  He wrenched it around to his back.  David caught hi dad by the hair and brought him to the front, and put him in a head-lock.  David kept tightening his grip, and his dad kept losing air.

    “David, let him go! You’re gonna kill him!”  I screamed at him.

    David let go, and his dad passed out in the floor.

    “Get your stuff.  I’m takin’ you home.”

    We got in the truck and started driving.

    “Lake…”

    “No, David. Don’t apologize for your dad.  He’s not your responsibility.”

    “Lake, I didn’t mean for you to have to see or hear any of that. I hoped it would never happen. Please promise me you won’t say anything to anyone about it.  Not even Timmy.”

    “Davy, you know I would never. I know how important it is to you.”

    “Thanks.”

    We drove on in silence for a few minutes.

    “Does that happen often? What happened tonight?” I asked him quietly.

    “Only every night.”