“Oh my God, I'm so sorry," she muttered, scrambling to her knees to collect her books.

“You should watch where you're going," the new professor's voice said. Cara looked up to see him squatting on his haunches in front of her, holding her phone out to her.

“I'm sorry," she said again, grabbing her phone. “I have to run."

It was only after she'd got outside that she realised the message had still been on her screen, and the professor had probably seen it.

#

Cara met J at a masquerade party. It was one of those things the dorms did that were illegal but happened anyway. Students from other colleges drove in for her dorm's annual Masquerade Ball, and it tended to get really wild. No one knew who anyone really was, and there was lots of free alcohol, so there was a lot of sex, obviously.

Trying to remember exactly what happened was a little difficult for Cara. She'd been floating in an alcohol-induced haze when she'd bumped into him, her drink sloshing onto her dress and onto his shirt.

“Shit," she cursed, then she burped. She looked up, expecting an angry face, maybe some choice curse words, and instead got kicked in the gut by a sexy grin and eyes darker than night, framed by a black leather mask.

“An apology would be nice," the guy said, wiping the front of his shirt with his hands. Huh. Was that a glimpse of a six-pack under that wet shirt?

“You want a sponge bath with that apology?" the alcohol slurred on her behalf, then she clapped her hand over her mouth and said, “Shit. I'm sorry."

“Nah, a sponge bath would actually be nice," the guy said. “This shit is sticky."

Cara wasn't sure if he was joking or not. Tentatively, she said, “The bathrooms are just down that hall."

She half-expected him to give her a look of disgust,  to at least laugh it off and leave her to her drunken shenanigans. Instead, he grinned that sexy grin at her and said, “Let's go."

The bathrooms were, surprisingly, empty. Probably because all the hooking up was taking place inside the rooms. Cara clicked the lock on the door shut and turned to face Sexy Grin. He'd whipped his shirt off already - that had been a six-pack she'd glimpsed, alright.

“Wow, we're moving too fast," she said. “You don't even know my name."

The guy paused with his shirt in his hand. “Okay. What's your name?"

“Cara. What's yours? Wait. I don't want to know."

She giggled and attempted to sashay in his direction. “Let's keep that secret. It's kind of the point of this thing, isn't it?"

Surprise, surprise, she tripped when she was maybe a meter from him, falling headfirst into his chest. Arms like bands of steel wrapped around her, steadying her first then lifting her away to look down into her masked face.

“Steady there," he said, and Cara felt like she could fall asleep inside of his voice. So deep, so soothing.

“You're really hot," she murmured. It was the alcohol, really, making her mouth run away with the things her brain was thinking.

“You're cute," Sexy Grin said, and Cara scrunched up her nose. Cute? Was that a good thing?

“It's a good thing," he said, like he was reading her mind, his mouth tilted up on one side.