Chapter 12 ~Coby~

Coby

"MUM!" I yelled at the top of my voice. "ARE YOU SERIOUS? YOU'RE MAKING ME MOVE FROM THE ONLY PLACE I'VE EVER FITTED IN? THE ONLY PLACE I'VE EVER HAD FRIENDS, AND YOU'RE MAKING ME LEAVE?"

"Honey, calm down," said Mum. She takes a deep breath. "Okay, I know at your previous schools, you haven't really, well, fitted in. But this school, it's a good school. The Headmaster is the best Headmaster in the world, Professor Dumbledore!"

I snort at that. "Nice name," I say sarcastically. "What's wrong with Cigam, may I ask?"

"I know you fit in there, but I'm not confident that this school is best for you! You see, Hogwarts-"

"Hogwarts! What a name!" I say witheringly.

"Cigam School is Magic is a terrible school under the influence of Mr Malarkey!" Mum shouts.

I am shocked into silence. My Mum never  shouts. She must be real angry!

"Meanwhile, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is an exceptional school! AND, young man, I think I would have a little more experience than you picking schools!" she continues.

"What's so terrible about Cigam?" I ask snappily.

"Mr Malarkey enroles terrible teachers and he is a terrible Headmaster!" Mum cries in exasperation. "How many times do I have to tell you, Coby?"

"Cigam's a really good school!" I argue. "I've learnt heaps!"

"Okay, then, how do you levitate objects?" Mum asks.

I rack my brains. "I don't think we've been taught-oh! I mean, I must've forgotten!" I try to cover up my mistake.

Mum snorts. "As if! I caught your mistake, Coby Reynolds! The first-years at Hogwarts have already been taught that, Professor Dumbledore told me!"

"Well, where is this bloody school, then?!" I fume.

"Europe," says Mum, looking down  at a letter.

My fury returns. "Europe! That's must be six million kilometres away!"

"Europe is not six million kilometres away from Australia, and you better stop being rude, young man, or you will start losing privledges!" she snaps and strides out of the room.

"I don't have any privledges!" I yell after her. I can't believe she's sending me to this stupid Hogwarts place! Australia is, was, and always will be my home! Surely there are other schools of magic in Australia other than Cigam!

                                                                              ***

"Have a nice time at Hogwarts!" Mum cries out, waving happily as she disappears on her broomstick, leaving me alone in this godforsaken place!

Yes, I have arrived at Hogwarts. I flew on my mother's broomstick. The caretaker is due to pick me up from the front lawn and show me where I'm supposed to go.

I can see a lamp bobbing and swaying in the wind. "Coby Reynolds?" asks a voice, and a man with sunken eyes and a cat on his shoulders approaches.

"I am Mr Filch, the caretaker," he says to me. "This is Mrs Norris," he says, indicating the cat.

Great. The first person I meet at my new school is totally bonkers.

Filch leads me through the gates, and into an 'entrance hall'. I see a stern looking witch leading two students by the collar of their robes.