The Monster In Me

My back began to sting. I was struck by the eight foot creature. Blood withdrew from my body as I was struck, once again. I turned to see the large red eyes glare towards me.  Muscles grew from the beast quickly. Jagged, sharp horns grew from different directions of his head. His black body faded into the corner of my dark room. “Come and play.” Growled the beast from another direction. Soon enough, a crooked, stained red smile had appeared in front of me. It grew larger and larger. The first thought of mine was to hide under the blankets like I would usually do in this situation. But I couldn’t. This time, it was real. The noises and shadows that came from under my bed were all real. “I thought you weren’t afraid, Annie?” the beast chuckled. He began to grow moldy claws from his long fingers. He slashed me across the face knocking me to the carpet of my room. I lay there, motionless, as he stands over me with that horrid smile. He took his feet and pressed them on my chest. My ability to breathe was limited. Soon enough, he opened his mouth taking one whole bite of my wrist. Screaming hurt more than the pain itself. I felt it beginning to suck my very insides out of the bite it has just taken. The pain felt like razors over and over again seeping and tearing into my flesh. Un-satisfied with the flavour, he took another bite from the other. I kicked my legs in hopes of escaping but my legs soon began to loose all strength as they dropped motionless. I began to taste the metallic flavored liquid seeping onto my tongue. With all my power, I spat the liquid into the horrific face of the monster. He laughed at me. He mocked me. He spat a black, moldy piquancy back into mine. It dripped throughout my face. His face grew closer to mine. His tongue tickled my ear as he wispered to me, “Wake up.”

 I sat up from my bed, sweating, looking outside expecting to see darkness. I saw the sun. I saw birds and insects roaming the air. It feels as if I’ve never seen daytime before. It’s never been so beautiful. I got up, looking at my feet. I could walk. My body was no longer numb. I looked around to make sure the beast wasn’t hiding. I checked under my bed where he loved to be. I checked behind my pillow where he sometimes fooled me. It was over. He was gone. I looked into the mirror smiling at myself that I had finally defeated my fear. I touched my smooth face to feel my salt flavored tears. I noticed something. I saw my stitched wrists.  Was it real or is this monster me..?