Chapter Seven: Week Two - Yes and...

Date clues arrived the next day: five black and white polka dot, five blue and white striped, one sunflower yellow, and one mint green. As expected, Jules found her name on one of the multiples (the black and white polka), inviting her to a party date at an improv studio.

"You've got to be kidding me," Johanna said loudly, holding up her polka dot box as well, and Jules began a retort when she realized Johanna wasn't looking at her; she was pointing at Emma, who was in the middle of opening the mint green box.

"What's the problem, Jo?" Elsie asked calmly, as both she and Jules stepped in between the two women.

"She switched the tags. I saw Emma switch the tags. Originally she picked up a polka dot box, but now suddenly she's on the individual date?"

"I saw the 'E' on the tag, so I thought it was mine, but it said 'Elsie.' I would never switch tags," Emma said.

"Something definitely happened," Johanna persisted. "You had something white in your hand and you were fumbling around with the green one."

"It doesn't even make sense to switch the tags," Jules interrupted, "because the invitation gives a description of the date and all of the party dates are the same." Jules reached a hand out to Emma, who gave her the invite from the mint box.

Dear Emma,

Let's see if we can take our relationship to new heights. I'll pick you up today at three.

~Ravi

"That sounds like an individual date to me. Here's what my invitation from the party box says:

Get ready to laugh your ass off while learning the rules of improv. Your first lesson: answer every question with "yes, and..." Will you join me on Wednesday?

~Ravi"

Johanna looked down at her own card, quickly mouthing the identical request. "Fine, but we're all keeping our eyes on you, Emma."

"Don't speak for everyone, Johanna," Jules said, stepping beside Emma. "Although, I will keep my eyes on you, because you look gorgeous today. Did you brighten your hair somehow?"

Emma and a few of the other girls laughed, and Johanna took her box and huffed away. Patrick and one of the producers followed after her. "What's her problem?" Emma asked, setting her box down.

"She was on the warpath yesterday, too," Elsie said, peeking into Emma's gift to examine the toy helicopter inside.

"Probably jealously?" Kamilla said. She'd gotten the second individual date, the card described an evening on the town.

"Maybe." Jules didn't think jealousy was the only motivation behind Johanna's erratic behavior. A contributing factor, definitely, but that didn't tell the whole story. She'd worked with enough troubled people to know that anger and frustration normally stemmed from something deeper beneath the surface.

"Well, she is not bringing me down today!" Emma exclaimed. "A private date with Ravi! I can't believe he picked me!"

"Why not?" Jules asked. "You're beautiful and kind. Why wouldn't he want to see what else you have to offer?"

Emma blushed so deep her skin started to blend in with her hair. "Thanks, Jules. I'm going to go get ready." She scampered off. Jules was almost as excited for her as she was for herself. Which, thankfully, must mean that her attraction to Ravi the night before was just that - physical. Nothing more.