13

Third Person

Cosette quickly tied back her bangs and made for the door, about to go to the cafeteria for breakfast, when her phone buzzed.

Surprised to recieve a text so early in the morning, she quickly checked who had sent it.

Ah, it's Kenma...

She slid the lock screen.

From: Kenma
Subject: Good-morning

Good-morning, Konimi-san. How are you?

Cosette felt a small smile stretch across her face. He had been sending her frequent how are you messages lately, and she couldn't help but smile whenever she got them.

"He cares about you too, you know? Even if he doesn't show it often."

At this point, Cosette knew for sure that what Yaku had said was true. Except this time, he seems to be showing it a little more.

It had been a long time since she had felt this much support from anyone, and she had to admit that she missed the feeling.

Reply to: Kenma

Good-morning, Kenma. I'm alright, thank you for asking. How about you?

It was her usual reply, their usual morning conversation, yet, she never got tired of it.

"I'm great, too," came a soft voice in front of her, and Cosette looked up from her phone in surprise.

"Oh, you're here," she said with a small smile.

"Yeah... I guessed you might be coming downstairs..."

"Thank you, Kenma, for being concerned."

"...n-no problem."

He observed her for a minute, picking up her distant manner, and he sighed to himself, aware that she wasn't being completely honest with him at the moment. But he didn't push anything. He could sense that whatever was bothering her was really not something she would want to mention.

Cosette looked up at him almost apologetically, knowing that he knew she wasn't all that fine.

And it was true, she wasn't, not really. She had been having nightmares again lately. She never awoke in the middle of the night, but when she did wake up, she was always in a sweating mess, and she could remember the dream perfectly.

She shivered the slightest, the scene from the dream forming in her head again.

She didn't understand why, despite being surrounded by all the warmth and support she couldn't stop thinking of her parents, the night they died, the night everything changed for her. She couldn't bring herself to get over them, no matter how hard she tried.

She hadn't even spoken to Yaku about her nightmares, she hadn't told anyone. Even if she desperately wanted to open up about it... she was still... scared.

"I don't like seeing you like this, you know," Kenma muttered, his voice barely audible. But it was enough to snap her out of her thoughts.